Return to the Plumbing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Outdoor faucet leak question

Posted by msbumble (My Page) on
Sat, Oct 10, 09 at 12:48

I have a Nibco anti-siphon faucet outside that was installed about 5 years ago. It's always leaked a bit when a hose is attached, but now it's spraying. The water sprays out from the place where the flow control parts attach to the body of the faucet. I can't take a picture today, but here's a description -a male brass hex-shaped part screws in, then the plastic handle fits over that and is screwed on.
My question: I see no washers or teflon tape anywhere. There's a small amount of mineral buildup here and there but nothing major. Should there have been some rubber washers or t.tape used when this was installed? Will they fix my problem? Thanks for any advice you can offer.
p.s. The water is not spraying out where the hose screws on - it's coming from behind the knob.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Outdoor faucet leak question

Not completely clear description, but I am assuming you mean it sprays from the base of the valve stem, and only when the valve is open. That would suggest that the packing seal in the valve needs replacement, or that the hex nut may be a little loose. Get a wrench and see if the hex nut needs tightening (without being too forceful). If it is well-seated, then go to the store and get a valve seal refurbishing kit. When you get home, turn off the water to the house, take off the handle, undo the hex nut, and redo the seal. Then put it back together, turn on the water, and check for leaks. You don't need teflon tape on the hex nut threads.

o
RE: Outdoor faucet leak question

do a Google search on 'Nibco anti-siphon faucet' and you'll find links to sources for rebuild kits. I don't recall the brand of mine, but I found o-rings to do the job. That little bit of build-up should also be removed.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumbing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here