Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cruzmisl

Replaced all the parts but toilet still leaks....I need help.

cruzmisl
15 years ago

Hi,

I have a 10 yr old Kohler, Finial (I believe) 1.5g flush toilet. Recently I noticed I could hear a trickle of water when it was idle so I replaced the fill valve and the flapper thinking it was one of the two. It still leaked into the bowl after I replaced those parts. I thought that it may be the overflow pipe, maybe the seat was worn or pitted, so I replaced it but it still slowly leaks. I'm out of parts to replace and ideas. Can someone help?

Thanks,

Joe

PS I used a Fluidmaster valve and a Moen overflow tube/flapper. The tube and flapper came as a kit.

Comments (74)

• george_moore74
    7 years ago

Don,

I cant thank you enough, I was in the same boat. I changed the flapper twice along with the fill tube and it still leaked. I was ready to buy a new toliet when I found this blog. I truely didn't believe it would work but you proved me wrong.

Thanks again,

• Jenn
    6 years ago

Don, you were absolutely correct.

Thank you for your solution.

• starben62
    6 years ago

I had the same problem with my one piece American Standard Lexington toilet from the early 1990's. I replaced both the fill valve and flush valve and the toilet was still leaking. I read these posts and realized that the tube into the overflow was too low. I pulled it out about four inches and the leak stopped. What an easy solution.

• Ruth Honick
    6 years ago

We also have a toilet mystery. The toilet sounds like it is running slightly when the flush cycle is over. We have replaced the flushing mechanism only. We can hear a very quiet water running sound, but there is no water coming out of the tube. No water appears to be leaking into the bowl. The flapper seems to be working properly. Any idea what to do next?

• Vith
    6 years ago

Sounds like the fill valve isnt shutting off completely, replace that.

• Ruth Honick
    6 years ago

We replaced the fill valve with Fluidmaster 400 A which was exactly the same as was originally installed. What we were trying to correct was the constant low sound of water running. The new part did not correct the problem as the same problem is occurring. Any other ideas? We just can't figure out where the water is going as there is no water coming out of the tube, none leaking into the bowl. Thank you for your help.

• Vith
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Small leaks into the bowl usually arent seen. You would have to put some food coloring into the tank, not flush, and see if any gets into the bowl. If it does, either the flapper seal is leaking or the flush valve gasket between the flush valve and the tank is leaking.

If flapper is new and still leaking, use silicone grease on the lip of the fill valve to help make a better seal. Or replace flush valve.

• starben62
    6 years ago

try pulling the tube from the "Fluidmaster" fill valve back out from the overflow valve so it is above the water level. It fixed my problem. Have you read through all the old posts on this? Everyone was at a loss, they had replaced the flush valve and the fill valve. My problem was solved by pulling the tube almost all the way back and making it much shorter. Try it.

• Donna Outen
    6 years ago

So, we just had the flush valve and the flapper replaced for he second time. There is still a phantom flushing that almost seems to affect the other toilets in the house, too. I tried the food coloring test and took the chain off of the flapper. No blue leaked into the bowl. Doesn't this indicate that there is a leak somewhere else besides the tank? Our toilet flushes slightly every 5-15 minutes all day long. So could there be a leak elsewhere? There is a slight wet spot at the base of the toilet. Could it be leaking at the seal at the base? If so, that doesn't seem like it would affect the flushing of the toilet because the water would just be leaking from the bowl, right? Could that be affecting the upstairs toilet, too, that's not too far off of the same pipe course? Can someone give me alternative advice to the flapper/valve leak for the phantom flush? Maybe I just have a phantom!! (Plumber came and replaced flapper for a gazillion dollars only to have to come back and replace valve. Made things worse!! Told me to shoot my toilet if the flapper/valve replacement didn't work.)

• Vith
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Yup if the tank isn't leaking blue into the bowl then its probably the bowl filler in the overflow tube is too low causing a siphon. Which is mentioned before and has resolved the problem for multiple people. There should be a clip on the top of the overflow tube that holds the rubber bowl filling tube. If the bowl filling tube is already positioned correctly, you may need to raise the height of the overflow tube if it is adjustable.

• Donna Outen
    6 years ago

No, the overflow tube is fine. I meant to say that I checked all of that out in the beginning. The overflow tube is well above the water level, so that's not the issue. I notice the slight momentary "refilling" after anyone flushes in another part of the house or sometimes even after water is run in the kitchen sink. It's even alternating this flushing sound with the toilet in the upstairs bath. That seems too coincidental for there to actually be a toilet problem. Seems more like a plumbing line problem. One moment I'll hear the downstairs do it and later on I'll hear the upstairs toilet making the "refilling" sound. The downstairs one does it more often, but the upstairs participates. Could there be a leak in the pipes under the house or between the two systems or something like that which would cause the refill sound for several toilets? I just cannot figure out where this would be coming from. I'm fairly convinced it has nothing to do with the actually toilet tank. We've seen no water leaking in any of the walls or ceiling. Could a leaky seal around the base of downstairs toilet cause it refill like that? And would that cause a domino effect with the one upstairs, too?

• jessica481301
    6 years ago

Ok so I am having a similar issue. My toilet is leaking water from the tank into the bowl. I replaced everything in the tank, the fill and flush valve, flapper and overflow tube and the gasket between the tank and bowl, and all the bolts,washers and nuts..this was a Fluidmaster kit I purchased. I flushed it and let the tank refill, I marked the water level and put the blue tab in the tank and sure enough a little while later I had blue leaking into the bowl. I checked the tube into the overflow tube and it is above the fill level of the water. How do I fix this leaky toilet?

• Vith
    6 years ago

I dont really know what is happening with donna's toilet. If it is a ghost flushing caused by the plumbing lines, it would be due to inadequate venting, either no venting or a vent is clogged or blocked, causing a siphon in the toilet trap which pulls water out. But that should not involve the tank, it would just pull water out of the bowl.

Jessica, you may be able to get a better seal with the flapper with some silicone grease. Possible the new flapper is still leaking a little.

• Justin
    6 years ago

Donfixit , wow you are the man!!!!! I just pulled that tube out a little and boom problem fix d!!!!!!!! You are the man!

• mnkim
    6 years ago

Don_Fixit, you are my "Toilet God", and I mean that sincerely; Thank-You!!! (HAD to replace all the toilet innards, and I had never had a fill tube that went into the overflow pipe, before - they had all been hooked to the top of the overflow pipe with an elbow joint at the end, basically "shooting" the water down into the tube - so, it makes sense if it's down below the fill line that it would siphon. Thank-you, again!)

• Michael Parkes
    5 years ago

Hey Don
    Thank you so much for that tip on water fill tube being too low and siphoning water out - after replacing the flapper and that didnt fix it and then replacing the flapper with a new seat, and the landlord couldn't figure it out, and all this time that was the issue. THANK YOU!

• Lori Edwards
    5 years ago

Don_Fixit, you saved us!!! We had replaced so many parts, but it was that darn tube, siphoning water. Thanks you so much!

• Stuart Scott
    5 years ago

Greetings! Just a note to thank all of you for your contributions. I had all of the issues mentioned and found that even my Licensed Master Plumber had challenges working with my Kohler One Piece Toilet. Using the recommended Kohler Flapper for my Kohler Toilet, I would have to hold the handle down in order to get a complete flush. The flapper chain was adjusted every which way and either it was opening and closing too quickly or not closing properly. After changing out the Kohler Flapper several times with the same results, I purchased a Korky Flapper. As soon as the Korky Flapper was installed, the flushing worked perfectly. When I called Kohler Customer Service, I told them that the Kohler Flapper they recommend for my toilet does not function properly. I told them that I purchased a Korky Flapper and they said forget it. It just won't work properly. The toilet flushing handle worked great with the Korky Flapper and with the Kohler Flapper it wouldn't do a complete flush. Sometime days or weeks after the Korky installation, I noticed a phantom flush. It lasts for a few seconds with a very light sound of water. Today, I took out my newer Kohler Flapper and replaced it. I now have to hold the flush handle down for an extra second or two, but I will hopefully not hear the phantom flush. I also checked the hose as mentioned and it is above the water line. Best Wishes to All.

• Lashandra Moseley
    5 years ago

I would like to say thanks to Donfixit!!! I was almost about to call a plumber!!! I really wish we could give him a beer!!!

• juliejmichael
    5 years ago

Don_Fixit, 10 years later and you are still a true American hero my friend. We had TWO toilets that kept running and completely replaced the insides of one of them (a “professional” plumber did it for us) and I was ready to just buy 2 new toilets because this toilet situation was really affecting my marriage. I literally pulled the small tube out of the overflow pipe so that it just barely hit the edge and it freaking worked. I want to laugh and cry. You literally saved my marriage.

• Stuart Scott
    5 years ago

Follow-up from my August 18, 2018 Comments:

I am still using the Korky Flapper on my Kohler 2 piece toilet. (correction: my previous comment said 1 piece toilet) The Korky Flapper does a complete flush whereas with the Kohler Flapper, I have to hold down the handle for 2 seconds or more in order to get a complete flush. I still have the Phantom Flush and have wasted much water. I believe the problem is related to the Flush Valve Seal so I put a call into my plumber as the toilet tank needs to be removed in order to replace the Seal. I bought 2 Kohler Toilets in 2005-2006. One of the toilets never needed any maintenance and the other identical toilet is forever giving me issues. Several months ago, the Fill Valve was replaced because the water wouldn't flow fast enough into the toilet tank. It took about 5 minutes or more to fill up. That problem was resolved by calling a Licensed Master Plumber.

Best of Luck to All!

P.S. I called Kohler Customer Service yesterday and they thought my problem was the Flapper. I explained to Kohler what I had written above and that it's not the Flapper causing the Phantom Flush. They are very nice Customer Service Folks but in my opinion, they are NOT very knowledgeable.

• persicoil
    5 years ago

So I am in the same boat. I replaced flapper and fill valve. Worked fine for 2 flushes, on the 3rd, it wouldn't stop running. Replaced the fill valve with another one, same kind - Fluidmaster 400. Worked for about 36 hours, now won't stop running. The tube is above the overflow tube and the flapper isn't leaking. I don't think it's 2 faulty fill valves. What can it be?

• Wayne Narcisse
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Don! Are you serious! I’ve had this problem for at least 5 years and have over hauled this toilet at least three times. I can’t begin tell you how much water I’ve been wasting cause I would just give up! The fill tube was indeed below the water line. Someone should at least nominate you for an Emmy award or something! Thanks Don!

• petra_conn_tx
    4 years ago

Great Feed and feedback! I'm in a similar boat to most of you all. I've replaced every single part in the tank and shortened the tube that goes to the overflow pipe. But every ounce of tank water still slowly drains into the bowl. Any suggestions would be so very helpful.

• beansm
    4 years ago

I am having the same problem with "phantom flushing"! My husband replaced ALL of the guts in the tank with a kit. The frequency of the phantom flushing is less, but it still happens! So, all new parts, and the fill tube is hovering over the overflow pipe. So any other suggestions? I'm ready to buy a whole new toilet!

• petra_conn_tx
    4 years ago

Just to give a little update:

I was able to use silicone waterproof sealer underneath the tank and around the bottom of the overflow valve. This stopped my slow leak issue and I now have a ship shape toilet. I'm glad the problem has finally been flushed ;D. I did, however, forget to wear gloves when placing the silicone and seeing as its' industrial strength water proof sealant, I had a heck of a time getting it off my hands. Make sure you're wearing gloves! If you fall into the same problem as I did, a nail scrub brush and nail polish remover did the trick. Washing with dawn dish soap will get you no where. The water proof claim is legit!

• petra_conn_tx
    4 years ago

I hope you didn't buy a new toilet yet!

• Joe Sinkwitz
    4 years ago

Don, thank you so much! The water fill valve in my toilet was kind of gunky and the water feed was very slow. I replaced that fill valve with a new Fluidmaste fill valve. It had a long supply tube, so I just pushed it down into the overflow pipe on the tank flush valve. All night long, about every 2 minutes (or less) the darn thing would refill for about 10 seconds. The next morning I replaced the flapper on the flush valve confident that it would fix the problem. It didn't :( So, I bit the bullet and went to Ace Hardware, then Home Depot to buy a new tank flush valve. Of course neither one of them had just the flush valve, so I had to buy the entire Fluidmaster Promax toilet repair kit (fill valve and flapper -- that I already bought the day before, a flush handle and what I needed (or so I thought) the 2" tank flush valve with spud gasket, bolts, nuts and washers). Once the new flush valve replace the old one I patted myself on the back for a job well done... only to discover the darn thing was still phantom flushing while putting my stuff away. I was astounded... how can this be? Are you kidding me? Replaced everything and it was still losing water. I googled leaking toilet tanks and luckily, oh SO Luckily found your post from eleven years ago. I pulled the water supply tube out of the flush valve overflow tank, snipped off the excess and used the bracket to attach the tube above the overflow valve. NO MORE LEAKING! God bless you, Dan, for writing this post about the siphoning problem eleven years ago! I'll remember you in my prayers tonight and every time I flush that nevermore leaking toilet.

• Ted Butts
    3 years ago

what if my tube is not way inside, yet i still have water coming into the Bowl? i have replaced the insides too and the flush valve twice, yet it still seeps inside the bowl

• HU-819354800
    3 years ago

I have three phantom dual flush toilets that are about 5-7 years old. We had two different plumbers come out. The parts were replaced and still the toilets run. I’ve looked to see if the overflow tube was the problem, but everything seems to be above the water line. the last plumber told me to replace the toilets. please help!

• Judy Barber
    3 years ago

LEAK OUT OF TOILET HANDLE - Originally I noticed a phantom flush ... I replaced the angle stop, the fill valve (Fluidmaster), flapper (korky) and cut off the fill tube above the water line even though it's been at previous point for years (Fluidmaster says "anti siphon" on box). Staying home for COVID has provided an opportunity to LISTEN to that intermittent mini flush. Leads me to wonder how long it's had that issue. Now, toilet tank will fill so high that it leaks out of the flush handle. Anyone have a remedy for that? I suspect the phantom flush has stopped but don't know for sure because now I turned water off at the stop underneath.

• Kamila Kaftol
    3 years ago

@Don_Fixit YOU ARE A LIFE SAVER!!!!! Thank you so much. Many sleepless nights and stressing out is gone now! This was 100% the problem. Had to replace everything in toilet and problem was still occurring until I did what you suggested!!!! So grateful!

• Harold Williams
    3 years ago

Don !!!!!!!! Is the Man!!!!!! Will he ever respond again???

• Handy_Husband
    3 years ago

If you still have a phantom leak after replacing your flush valve and following @Don_Fixit advice for checking your fill tube and overflow pipe, the issue will be at the flush valve seal.

You must clean out all the debris around the tank hole inside the toilet where the flush valve seal will adhere to the bottom of the tank. Old crusty debris will cause the slow trickle leak into the tank. Make sure the area around the hole is free of debris and smooth (use sand paper if needed).

:)

• kvnbal72
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Don just to let you know this hose advice is still fixing problems! Thanks for the comment!!

• Paul Brody
    3 years ago

Not to be redundant but..... Don_Fixit is the man!!!!! I was about to go nuts trying to figure out the problem. My last resort was pulling the tube most of the way out of the fill tube and the problem has been resolved!! Thank you SO much for sharing your expertise,. No more leak.

• Sharon Smith
    3 years ago

My tube doesn't even go in the pipe, it stops right after that blue . Could it still be an issue with that? This is the 2nd entirely new toilet kit. It's driving me crazy too.

• HU-62463867
    3 years ago

I replaced all plumbing in tank fixed water level and still is draining into toilet and every 3 minutes starts filling tank again

• Cheryse Sankar
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Shout out to Don! I was so proud of myself for replacing the fill and flush valves and then was extremely frustrated when it kept running. I was thinking I'd have to get a new toilet but all I had to do was pull the fill tube to the top of the overflow pipe. Simplest fix ever and it worked!! 😁

• HU-202043777
    2 years ago

Add me to the long list of Don fans! I also replaced the flush valve and gasket to no avail. I then stumbled onto this blog and pulled the tube up (and cut off some) and it worked! Thank you! - Robert

• Katie B
    2 years ago

Bless you, Don Fixit! I was so discouraged when I replaced the entire flush valve assembly, and my toilet was still leaking. I hate scouring the internets to find trouble-shooting ideas because there is just TOO MUCH information! Fortunately, this feed was my third or fourth click and my problem was solved. In all of my previous searches about leaking toilet tanks, this tip about that pesky little tube being above the water line NEVER CAME UP!

Thanks again, Don FIxit, wherever you are!

• mujackie
    last year
    last modified: last year

Don Fixit - your answer from 13 years ago fixed my problem. Thank you!!!!! I had the exact same issue as the original question and soo frustrated. Amazing - thank you Don Fixit!

• larry elitzer
    last year

well i replaced all the insides of the tank. I also put the fill tube way above the tank and still leaks into bowl?? any other suggestions? i replaced with a korky kit which has a clip that makes sure the hose is above the water line

• kudzu9
    last year

Did you replace the flapper, too?

• larry elitzer
    last year

yep all the internal parts and gasket between bowl and tank,still leaks into bowl...arrggg

• Handy_Husband
    last year
    last modified: last year

Pull the tank off the toilet (sorry). Disassemble the flapper and fill valve and remove from the tank. Ensure that you clean all the debris around the tank hole inside the toilet where the fill valve will be installed as well as underneath where the tank seals to the toilet. Old crusty debris will cause the slow trickle leak into the tank. Make sure the area around the hole is free of debris and smooth (use sand paper if needed).

• larry elitzer
    last year

I removed tank again and looked closer. The bolt hole on one one side became slightly oblonged with a small liip on one end.I also removed the flapper assy and inspected that also . looked ok on mounting surface. I added clear siicone on gaskets that mounted to bottome of tank for flapper assy and bolt gaskets. let sit to dry and no ore leaks !!! thanks for your help.I should have looked closer when replacing parts but didnt think the bolt holes would would make a difference but they do !!

• William Bethards
    last year

Seriously guys, this is not my first rodeo. I have a 20 year old Kohler, water level dropping, replaced the flush valve twice, along with the flapper and the gasket twice. All surfaces are clean. Fill tube is above the water line by 1 inch, I am completely out of ideas !!

• kudzu9
    last year

Water level dropping...In bowl or tank?

• William Bethards
    last year

Tank