Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
steph1_gw

Sewer line cleaning - Cannot get snake to pass

steph1
13 years ago

The line from my house to the street...it was clogged so I rented a power sewer snake from a local rental company. I got about 60 feet and got the water to flow again. However, after taking measurements, I am about 50 feet from the main street line. So I decided to add more snake lengths to do the entire line. However, I get to a point I cannot get the snake to move. In a design, there is no vent loop is there that would prevent a snake from passing? I do have a clean out, but it only angles to the street. I am about 10 feet shy of the cleanout. What would cause a complete stoppage of a snake from moving further. Should I keep manhandling it to get it past whatever obstruction may be there? The line is PVC. In the house cleanout it is black pvc. The cleanout on the lawn is green colored pvc. Can one damage pvc with snake cleaning (ie - eat through the wall?) My neighbor said maybe the pvc is collapsed? But I would think if it was collapsed my drain would be continually clogged. Can stoppages be so clogged to prevent passage of a snake? But my water does flow again. And if it was collapsed, we are saying it is collapsed so much it cannot let a snake through? But it will allow toilet paper and waste through?

Comments (7)