Return to the Plumbing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Should outdoor faucets have shut off valves?

Posted by rjs20 (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 9, 11 at 11:44

Should shut off valves be installed on outdoor faucets? Mine currently does not have one. It's an older house.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Should outdoor faucets have shut off valves?

If you live in an area with freex\zing weasther, yes.

The hose bibs need to be cut off snide the heated space, then opened to drain.

You can sometimes get away with 'frost proof' hose bibs.
they are long enough the valve is inside heated space.

Install one not pitched correctly (or leave a hose attached full of water) and it will not drain and freeze anyway.

o

It is a frost proof type with the valve in a heated space. Not sure how well it drains but I disconnect the hose in winter when it freezes.

o

If it is a house that has made it through a bunch of winters already with this setup, then you probably are fine. If you are in doubt, they sell covers for the outside.

o

I think the frost proof long valves where the seat of the valve is inside where it is warm, are the best type. The secret of course is to not forget to disconnect the hose. If you leave the hose on, it will not drain, and freeze up. Guess why I know?

If you go with the inside shutoff valve system, then you also need a drain valve inside. They most often end up in really awkward positions and are a pain in the butt to use. And, again you have to remember to drain them each year or guess what? Been there too...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumbing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here