Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
numbersjunkie

Help with wall mounted toilet install question

numbersjunkie
9 years ago

I am considering a wall mounted toilet for my small powder room. I realize that we will have to tear open the wall, possibily build it out to get the space we need, reroute the drain, and repair the hold in the foor where the existing drain is.

My guestion has to do with the installation of flush plate, and neither the Toto or the Geberit tank install instructions seem to address this in much detail. I know I have seem pics on Houzz where the flush plate was mounted horizontally on top of a ledge behind the toilet, and not vertically on the wall above the toilet. Is this an option with all tank units - can it be done that way?

I'm trying to figure out how much flexibility I have to determine the location of the flush plate - I don't want iot horizontal but I want it on a different vertical plane from tje toilet. I want to bump out the bottom of the wall and have the plate on the original wall above the bump out.

If anyone here has experience with these things, can you please comment? Thanks.

Comments (4)

• snoonyb
    9 years ago

Same comment as before and still no numerical reference nor existing plumbing layout.

• numbersjunkie
    Original Author
    9 years ago

snoonyb, not sure why my question depends on the existing plumbing layout. We have already determined that we can move the drain and water lines to accomodate the inwall tank. My question just has to do with the location of the flush control relative to the inwall tank unit. Am I missing something?

I looked again at the Houzz pics and it occured to me that some of the layouts I am seeing on Houzz where the control is not on the wall directly above the toilet may be from Europe, and they may have additional product options there that we do not have in the US.

It also occured to me that if the flush control panel is not right on the front of the tank unit, you would lose the ability to access the unit for repairs. So even if it might be possible to move the location of the control, its probably not a good idea. For that reason, I plan to stick with the normal configuration even though it requires me to tweak my design.

• snoonyb
    9 years ago

" not sure why my question depends on the existing plumbing layout"

Because, unless you are contemplating a total reconfiguration of the waste and vent lines affected, which you have not stated, and think that any contributor has been to your house, unbeknownst to you, you are asking for our best imagination, on the unknown.

Again;"still no numerical reference nor existing plumbing layout."

And if there are any opinions from local plumbers, what were they?

• numbersjunkie
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Now that our installation is complete, i thought I'd answer my own question in case anyone else is interested. We used the Geberit Sigma tank designed for 2 x 4 installations. We wanted to go straight down, not the angled option it allows which they indicate does require more depth. But even the straight down option still did not quite work in a 2 x 4 framed wall and we had to shim out the wall a little bit. Not a big deal for us, but just a heads up.

In addition, Geberit has a Sigma tank for 2 x 6 walls and an Omega tank for 2 x 6 walls that is designed for half walls and so the frame is not as high. The Omega tank does allow for the flush plate to be mounted either on the front wall or on top of the wall - the Sigma models do not have that option. I am looking at the Omega option for my next bathroom remodel because I want a ledge behind the toilet and don't want the ledge too high. I do note however, that the access area (through the flush plate opening) is smaller than on the other tanks. Not sure if this will be a big deal or not and if anyone has any experience with the Omega model please comment.

By the way, we love our wall mounted toilet. Definitely more expensive and difficult to install, but worth it IMO.