Return to the Plumbing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Replacing Insinkerator Garbage Disposal

Posted by john__showme__usa (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 10, 10 at 11:32

1/3 hp Badger. Broke this morning and flooded my cabinet under the sink. I want to get rid of entirely! Don't need one anyways. Is there something on the market that will just bolt right in and replace it with just pipe? The opening seems to be part of the sink. Some sort of adapter needed?

Thanks,

jt

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Replacing Insinkerator Garbage Disposal

You will want to remove the drain that incorporates the ISE mounting and replace it with a conventional drain. This is a nuisance, of course, but not difficult. You'll find conventional drains at hardware stores, plumbing supply outlets, Lowes, Home Depot, etc.

Just be careful to remove all of the left over plumber's putty on the old one and put sufficient new PP to seal the new one.

Add piping/traps to complete the job and that's it. A little mess and a few curses and you'll have what you want.

o

Thanks for the fast reply!

My dishwasher drains into the Badger 1 which further complicates things.

Not sure what to do at this point. Think I will go to HD tomorrow and ask around. It might be easier for me just to replace it with a new one and and never use it.

Thanks again.

o

I don't know that you'll get away without using it if you replace it. Whatever washes in there or gets pumped in from the DW will mean you have to run it eventually. My wife is always forgetting to run it before running the DW and then it backs up in the sink when the DW drains.

Probably not what you want to hear, but I'd consider getting a sure-enough Insinkerator over the Badger. Higher power (3/4hp min) and a little better built even if by the same company. The extra cost might be worth it for it to work better and last longer. Shop around and see if you can get a deal.

My office has a Badger in the break room sink, and it's been replaced after burning out the motor. And that's with a very minimal load of stuff going through it, though I suspect that a plastic utensil did the deed.

o

Badgers are rubbish, but the line just above is fine...if you want it....but I don't think you do based on what you wrote.

You will have zero trouble connecting DW outlet to your new drain without disposal. Any hardware store or Lowe's or Home Depot attendant can show you what's needed. Very common request. Don't be intimidated by this.

o

If you want something that will last and work, get at least a one horsepower GD with a stainless steel grinding chamber.

While not much goes down ours anyway (old habits from having a septic system once) a decent unit should last at least 10+ years.

o

Got delayed for a few days, but finally finished yesterday.

Hosting provided by FotoTime

No more Insinkerator for me, ever. Several employees in the plumbing department told me that used to be a good brand, but are getting numerous complants abt the casings cracking in less than ten years.

Mine must have been leaking for a long time before the bottom seam gave away.

Hosting provided by FotoTime

One last thing... the Insinkerator basket had a retaining ring. Not easy to see unless you know it is there. Was driving me crazy trying to remove the basket. On my 3rd visit to the store one of the employees told me about it.

Here is a link that might be useful: retaining ring

o

Ok, then. John's in the club.

Thanks for coming back and showing result.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumbing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here