Return to the Plumbing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
question about caulking under sink strainer??

Posted by calypsochick (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 20, 10 at 11:14

Our plumber put some tan caulking under the sink strainer after our new sink was installed. When I came home, there was a ring of tan caulk that was visible around the rim. He said I could wipe off the excess, so I did. We didn't use the sink for at least over a week because of construction in our kitchen, and the water was turned off. Now, several weeks later, I'm using the sink. And there is still a small amount of that tan caulk that is coming up around the edge of the strainer. What is going on here?

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: question about caulking under sink strainer??

That's plumber's putty. It is normal for it ooze a bit as it seats, the last stages of which may sometimes take a week or two. It's soft. Just wipe it up and don't worry about it. It will stabilize and stop doing that.

If you're worried about a proper installation, you may want to go underneath and tweek the seating-screws a notch (not very much, though) to be sure. If a licensed plumber did it, I suspect it's fine and what you're observing is normal. This is very common plumber-stuff and I would be surprised to learn it wasn't done correctly.

o
RE: question about caulking under sink strainer??

Okay thanks...I just keep wiping it up with a paper towel, hoping it will go away soon!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumbing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here