Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
taverty

Nicked 3" Drain

taverty
10 years ago

I was drilling a hole in some studs when my drill with a paddle bit got away from me for a sec. It nicked my 3" main plumbing line 3 times. The three little nicks are about 1/2 - 1 inch long and no more than 1/16" deep. There may be one little section where it's slightly more than that. The pipe isn't leaking.

The pipe is in a location that makes it very hard to get to. If it wasn't I would just cut out that section. I'm in the process of finishing my basement and the nicked section is about to be covered in drywall. If it's not leaking now is there any risk of it developing a leak later? Can I put some JB Weld into the nicks to insure there won't be a problem? Do I even need the JB weld? I just wasn't sure if PVC slowly deteriorates over time and that pipe could develop a leak later.

Thanks in advance!

Comments (3)

• klem1
    10 years ago

You may as well patch it as best you can. Be certain whatever you use states in directions it adhears to pvc because many things don't.

• bus_driver
    10 years ago

If you decide to patch it, use the "Heavy Duty" PVC cement. Most places sell the Medium Duty. Heavy Duty has a more aggressive solvent.

• taverty
    Original Author
    10 years ago

So sounds like I should patch it. Part of me was thinking I should just leave it be. I may have a plumber come out and replace the section. They may not have such a hard time getting into the small space.

Thanks for the input!