Return to the Plumbing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Water drains slowly out of bathroom sink

Posted by little_acorn (My Page) on
Sat, Oct 27, 12 at 10:13

About 2 years ago we remodled our bathroom and put in a new countertop with a sink all in one unit.
Than I put a new Kolher Faucet in and ever since the water goes down very slow.
I have talked to Kolher and they told me that it is not the drain on the faucet, the sink.

All other drains work OK.

What can I do to get this problem fixed?

If this is the case why do they make countertops and sinks all in one unit?
Since they told me that it does not have a overflow vent on them.

These coutertops have been out for how many years and this is a problem and they don't know about the problem. I find this hard to belive.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Water drains slowly out of bathroom sink

Did you rule out the most likely causes? Start with these.

Does pop-up drain open enough. If not, adjust.
Check for hair in the tailpiece (just below the drain).
Check for clog in the trap.
Check for clog further down the line.

BTW, how long does it take for it to back up? The shorter the time, the closer the obstruction.

o

Dump some baking soda in the sink, then, pour 8-10 ounces of white vinegar in the sink. It will drain, but, don't use the sink for an hour or two. If there is blockage, usually this home made remedy will clear it out.

o

" If there is blockage, usually this home made remedy will clear it out."

only if there is no hoar.

There is no pressure generated, ad the only thing with any real cleaning ability is the vinegar (acetic acid) before it is neutralized making CO2 and foam.

o

That is not the problem the stopper or plug does not go up high enough is the problem.

o

If that's the case, adjust it underneath (where the rod connects to the pop-up lever).

o

It's probably a coincidence, the slow drain thing, unless whoever installed the tap put some material down the drain.

I'd try one of these in the drain: (apologies for the Canadian link, I couldn't find it on homedepot.com)

Here is a link that might be useful: Moen drain cleaning tool

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumbing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here