Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rakster_gw

Boiler/indirect water tank - radiators on even when zone isnt

Rakster
9 years ago

I have a 1 year old system that has a boiler and an indirect water tank that is heated by the boiler. There are 3 zones: Upstairs, downstairs, and the water tank.
There are manual values to block off each zone. My question is sometimes some radiators will be warm(usually those closest to the boiler) even when my thermostats are off and boiler relay is off(it's not a thermostat issue) . This isn't much of an issue when it's cold outside but during the switch of the seasons where i would like to have the zones totally off but also the ability to turn them on remotely(thermostat apps) it creates a problem. i spoke to the plumber that installed my system and he said it's due to gravity, and the only way to stop this from happening is to manually shut off the valves. I'm curious if he is BSing and there is something wrong with the system as it is or it's installed incorrectly, or it's just the way it is with the system, and it's up to me to manually close the valves. Also it's an efficiency thing, can't be good for a radiator to be on when the thermostat is off.