Return to the Plumbing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
toilet flange higher than floor

Posted by stash-hdy (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 4, 09 at 9:44

Have seen numerous questions on the flange being too low, what do you do when the flange is higher than the floor? Is there a height over the floor you dont need to worry about?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: toilet flange higher than floor

found this after I posted - Code requires that the underside of the closet flange must be flush to the finished floor, which then leaves the top of the flange approximately 3/8" above the finished floor. In instances where they have installed tile or additional underlayment and the flange if left flush with or below the floor level the correct solution is to install a "Buildup flange"

Again what do you do if the flange is higher than code?

o

If the flange is higher you have two options.

1. Lower the flange to the prescribed height.

2. Build up the floor immediately under the bowl.

o

Cut it. I just today tackled this problem with a new shower drain that was about 3" higher than the pan (for the rubber cap to attach to until construction was done). After doing some research here, I found out there is such a thing as an internal PVC cutter. I picked one up at HD for $11. Tried it tonight and it worked perfectly. It's just a little circular blade screwed to the end of a steel rod that fits in any drill. I would try this before building up the floor.

o

Using the PVC ID cutter is fine if you have PVC or ABS drains, but if its cast iron or in some extremely rare instances, DWV grade copper its another problem entirely, especially if that flange is on a slab installation.

They make thin sheets of PVC material that can be set over the flange and the material cut to the contour of the bowl to make a buildup shim, On the other hand, if this is over a basement or crawl space it may be more desirable to cut the line then reset the flange.

o

That's true, I didn't consider that it might be cast iron. If's its in a basement, and the floor is easily replaced, it may be worthwhile to take up the flooring, open the slab and dig a little. Messy, labor intensive operation though. I guess the solution will depend on the location of the affected appliance and the tools/skill level of the homeowner. I think lazypups idea of using the sheeted PVC to make a shim in the shape of the bottom of the bowl is probably the simplest solution. You could probably easily fashion one yourself (plywood?) if you can't find the material locally.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumbing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here