Return to the Plumbing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Optimal new kitchen layout = moving main drain line??

Posted by blueglassblues (My Page) on
Thu, Oct 25, 12 at 9:39

I could use some good honest advice. We are renovating a kitchen in a home we are purchasing. The best layout for this fairly long/narrow space (11'10" x 17'10") makes full use of the longest run of wall space along an exterior wall. The refrigerator, main cleanup sink and cooktop will be on this wall, and then there will be a long, narrow island parallel to this wall. The island will be about 30" x 90" - so the island is not going to be very deep and I'd prefer not to "clutter" it with any fixtures or appliances.

The problem is that the kitchen is only as long as it is because the previous owners opened up the exterior firewall to the garage and built into that space -- and the main drain line, an HVAC duct (which is not the right spot anyway for that particular duct), and probably a vent line runs through a "bump out" at about the 11th foot, about where the cooktop ends/overlaps. The bump out is 13"D x 26"W - not insignificant.

Long story short - I really, really want to remove the bump out, i.e., relocate the drain line and air duct. Is this something that can be done within reason? Has anyone done this? I am thinking just of relocating it maybe into the exterior wall itself, even if there is just a smaller bump out in the end that I can hide with a tall cabinet. There is one hall bath upstairs that probably drains into this line. The basement is unfinished below the kitchen space, and there is full access to the main drain line from below.

Thanks!!!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Optimal new kitchen layout = moving main drain line??

With a basement moving the drain line is no big deal, but it depends upon which code your under and where the current vent is located...

In a worst case scenario we may have to get a little creative in establishing a vent, but rest assured your project is doable.

o
RE: Optimal new kitchen layout = moving main drain line??

Hi pup!!! haha, thanks for the advice 4 years ago on my bathroom remodel, your input helped!! I just finished my other bathroom remodel, now I have no work left to do!!!

Sorry for hi-jacking, OP.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumbing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here