Return to the Plumbing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Plumbing softener drain line to sewer clean out

Posted by bigsmooth469 (My Page) on
Thu, Oct 8, 09 at 9:39

Hi All,

Just curious is this is an acceptable practice? I have a plumber who wants to run a drain line out of my garage into the sewer clean out, says it will require a new P-trap. Is it better to go directly to the drain or will the clean out be just fine? I figure since the clean out is hooked up to the sewer, it's the same thing, right?

Thoughts or comments would be appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Plumbing softener drain line to sewer clean out

You cannot hamper the function of the clean out, however you may install a Sanitary Tee and put the clean out cap on the top of the Tee, then connect your new drain line into the side opening of the Tee.

Also, you cannot directly connect the water softener drain line to the DWV system. The water softener drain line requires an "indirect waste" connection, which means you could either install a sink with a trap that connects to that tee, then discharge the water softener drain into the sink, or you can install a standpipe with a trap in the same manner as a washing machine standpipe and discharge the water softener drain into the standpipe.

o

lazypup, understand your first statement which is he can tie into the clean out by going undeneath the exposed area...he would dig and T into the white pipe coming up from the ground and not alter the cap.

Don't understand the second paragraph though, the clean out goes to the drain, if he plumbs the p-trap into the bottom part of the clean out, it would empty into the sewer right?

Sorry, I'm obviously not up on my plumbing lingo! :)

o

You can drain the softener to the cleanout provided:

1. The softener drains to a trap
2. The softener drains to the trap by way of an "air gap"
3. The trap is connected so that the connection can still be used as a 'cleanout'.

o

Well, the work is done, now that I saw what they did and how they did it I kind of wish I would have tried it myself but it would have likely taken me twice as long, so oh well, live and learn.

They did exactly what's described by manhattan42, works great.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumbing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here