Return to the Plumbing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
cpvc to brass ok?

Posted by sniffdog (My Page) on
Sat, Oct 13, 12 at 8:08

I need to fix a leak in my geothermal loop manifold. I would like to connect a 2" CPVC slip x MIP adaptor
directly to a 2" brass ball valve? Can I do this?

They make a CPVC adaptor with a brass MIP fitting but the cost of that part is almost $100. I could save myself a lot of money if I could use a pure cpvc adaptor instead.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: cpvc to brass ok?

The thread adaptor is fibne,,just don't forget to apply pipe joint compound on the male thread before making up the threaded joint.

o

Not to disagree, but I have to share this:

I just completed a walk-in shower with extra functions and used cpvc. I had a heck of time wrenching those all-cpvc adaptors tight enough to not leak without stripping the "nut" first. I was using teflon tape. I ended up having to replace a couple of them with the brass-cpvc ones because I couldn't get 'em tight enough.

A few weeks later I mentioned this problem to a couple plumbers at the plumbing supply (they were buying a bag of the brass-cpvc ones). One guys says, "oh yeah, we just drove one of our best plumbers nuts on a job using those things! He was going crazy and he's good, too...". They said that if you have to use all-cpvc adaptors at all, use pipe dope AND teflon tape on the threads.

o

Correction: I believe I first tried using Rectorseal 5 pipe dope. Out of 8 fittings, I had couldn't tighten 3 of them enough and got drips. Then, to be safe, I replaced them all with brass-cpvc since I had too much thread exposed in the joints anyhow.

o

ASTM specifications prohibit using both PTFE tape & pipe dope.

I always use non hardening Rectorseal and I have never had a problem tightening the joints.

o

Use the correct pliers and you should not have any problems.

Slip joints with hex cutout on the toothed jaws.

At least a12 inch pair.

And put enough dope on the threads.

There should be enough it squeezes out as the joint comes to final tightness in a ring around the fitting.

The female threads need to be pushing extra dope out of the way as the joint is tightened.

Except for special 'dry-seal' thread, the dope IS the final seal.

Dry-seal threads are also almost always 'one time' threads.
They have an interference fit to make the seal.

One reason they are expensive (VERY tight tolerances) and rarely used in routine plumbing.

I use them regularly in plumbing for specialized gases and liquids that can have NO contamination.

o

Thanks for all the reply's. I will try the pure cpvc adaptor and put plenty of dope on the threads.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumbing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here