Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
emc1234567

Help!! Contractor disturbed drain field!

emc1234567
9 years ago

We are doing some landscaping on our house on a hill. Trying to terrace some of the areas in the yard, and with my express apprehension about the drain field, but not knowing where it was because of differing drawings from the county and original homebuilder, the contractor hit the last five feet of the end of one of the lines with a back hoe. He didn't break the pipe, but all the river rock and landscape fabric surrounding the pipe was pulled away and it exposed the pipe. Since a raised bed garden area is planned for the space, he just threw dirt back on top of the pipe and told me to put a garden bed there. Do I need to be worried???? I'm concerned that with the landscape fabric and rocks gone that dirt will enter the system and ruin my drain field. Should I have him repair it?? I'm super nervous. Thanks for any and all help.

Comments (12)

• bus_driver
    9 years ago

A drain field for what? Septic? Stormwater?

• emc1234567
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Sorry...a septic drain field. :)

• bus_driver
    9 years ago

Was the exposed line dry or was the excavation flooded with green effleunt?

• emc1234567
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Bus driver, it was dry. I think that's a good sign? Thank you for helping me. :)

• User
    9 years ago

To be sure you should call a septic contractor and bill your contractor for the consult and whatever repair is needed.

Better to be sure than wait to see if there is a problem.

• bus_driver
    9 years ago

I think there is no problem based on the descriptions provided.

• User
    9 years ago

bus, that's great for you to say regarding someone else's potentially expensive problem.

There is no downside to the OP bringing in a licensed septic professional to say everything is OK or not and price a repair if necessary. The contractor should be responsible for the cost of the inspection by the septic company and any repairs that are necessary.

It may pi$$ off the contractor but septic repair can be costly and there are easy ways to mark a pipe and rock septic field so it is not disturbed. Anyone can buy a backhoe but knowing how, when, and where to use it is not a condition of sale.

• bus_driver
    9 years ago

My post was not flippant nor slightly considered. The first septic system I installed is one that I did all the digging by hand. I do have hands on experience with several systems. I currently own 5 septic systems.
    Digging again will not improve matters and has the potential to cause harm.
    The person posting will need to decide which advice to follow.

• User
    9 years ago

I did not consider your advice flippant nor slightly considered although it was based on a description from the OP who may or may not be knowledgeable regarding septic systems.

As an owner of septic systems I know the educational curve can be brutal and expensive. IMO the OP has to protect him(her) self from considerable expense down the road by KNOWING for sure that there is no damage to the field or if there is, it is repaired properly and according to code. I consider that common sense self-defense.

The Op relying on the contractor who dug into the septic field and then "just threw the dirty back on top of the pipe" and your long distance advice "I think there is no problem based on the descriptions provided" is assuming a considerable monetary risk when he(she) could be sure of the situation by bringing in a septic professional to assess the possible damage and charge the contractor for the inspection.

As to "The person posting will need to decide which advice to follow"... free advice is worth what you pay for it, especially on internet forums where opinions vary, while bringing in a septic professional to assess the possible damage could be PRICELESS to the OP.

• emc1234567
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you for your responses. Sounds like I need to possibly ask another septic person. My contractor who disturbed the drain field is a certified septic professional, but I'm concerned he's trying to possibly cover his back. Thank you both so much!

• User
    9 years ago

If your contractor is a licensed septic contractor then he should have been able to locate the field and avoid it. It would have taken a little time but would have been the professional thing to do.

Some equipment operators just dig in and then do the backstroke or rope-a-dope when something goes wrong.

Let us know what you decide and how it ends up.

• emc1234567
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Well, turns outthat I spoke with my contractor about my concern. He had integrity enough to admit a mistake had been made. He hand dug around the hand and fixed the problem with no questions asked, happily doing it better than it was before. Needless to say, it cost him money,, but he will have my return business. Thank you for all of your help.