Return to the Plumbing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sodium in softened water

Posted by Edy123 (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 17, 12 at 3:00

Hi all,
I am seeing some gurus in water softening here and would like to post a question on it. :)

How much sodium softened water from Kinetico 2030S will have? The hardness of water in my house is 18 GPG. The rep says sodium level will be 8mg/grain/gallon, which makes the additional sodium of 144mg/gallon in soft water; is this correct?

Regards,

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sodium in softened water

The formula for added sodium is 7.85 mg/l (about a quart) of softened water per grain per gallon of compensated hardness.

EXAMPLE 20 gpg * 7.85 = 157 mg of sodium added per liter of softened water, not salt.

How does this sodium content of softened water compare to sodium found in common foods?

The table demonstrates the usual range of sodium in common foods.

Food Amount Mg of Sodium

Ketchup 1 tablespoon 204
Milk 2 Cups 226
Frozen Peas 1/2 Cup 295
Bread 2 Slices 322
Corn Flakes 1 oz. 260
Parmesan Cheese 1 oz. 528
Tomato Juice 4 oz. 504
Tomato Soup 1 Cup 932
Chili 1 Cup 1194
Beef Broth 1 Cup 1152

o

Depending on the level of sodium restriction in a persons diet, none of those foods may be acceptable.

On a severely restricted diet patients cook their own meals from fresh ingredients to control sodium intake, and even what may appear as a small amount in drinking water can quickly become a major source of dietary sodium.

'Sodium restricted' has been referred to as 'salt restricted' for a very long time.

o

Thanks justalurker; my confusion was if it was 144mg (in your example 157mg)per gallon of soft water or it is per liter of soft water. Its clear now, its around 150 mg/liter of softwater.That seems neglegible for a healthy individual.

o

"EXAMPLE 20 gpg * 7.85 = 157 mg of sodium added per liter of softened water"

So that would be around 600 mg/l sodium added to a gallon of softened water if the hardness of the untreated water was 20 gpg.

o

justalurker,
Thanks for quick response. :) In simple terms if anyone drinks 1 liter of soft water they will be consuming 157 mg of additional (assuming hard water will have some sodium in it already) sodium right?

o

It can't be explained any plainer than I already typed it...

"EXAMPLE 20 gpg * 7.85 = 157 mg of sodium added per liter of softened water"

157 mg/l is the amount of sodium that would be added to 20 gpg hard water.

o

Thanks for all your help :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumbing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here