Return to the Plumbing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Insulating in/out pipes from Nat Gas HW tank

Posted by alan_s_thefirst (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 20, 10 at 2:01

It seems to be a bit of a conundrum, we are supposed to insulate the in/out lines from our hot water tanks (many new tanks are supplied with foam insulating sleeves) yet we're supposed to keep combustibles 6" or more away from the flue...and of course the open part of the flue hat.

The water lines on my tank are particularly close to the flue hat, in fact the edges of the plastic disks that cover the inlet/outlet that face the flue have actually melted a little. I checked the exhaust gas flow with a candle and it draws up the b-vent correctly.

I had considered using the fibreglass pipe wrap covered with foil duct tape at least along the adjacent part to the b-vent/flue, and the foam sleeving further up.

I know the plastic foam is probably flame-retardant but I'm sure they'd melt that close to the flue.

Am I over-thinking it?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Insulating in/out pipes from Nat Gas HW tank

As long as you have proper ventilation in the room where the tank is located the sleeves provided are not a problem.

o
RE: Insulating in/out pipes ftank

The water lines in and out must not be closer than straight up.

o

Thanks - the lines don't come any closer, and they're flexible plastic or whatever, sleeved with braided stainless. I am just concerned if the plastic covers on the inlets get hot enough to melt/shrink back, the insulation will suffer a similar fate.

Ventilation-wise, there's no 'make-up' air vent from outside ('80's house, British Columbia) which wasn't required then (less stringent air sealing) there is of course the fresh air inlet that connects to the cold air return.

The mechanical room doors are louvred so there's plenty of air flow into the room when they're closed.

o

6" clearance from combustables still applies. Don't put the insulation closer than 6" from the single wall pipe, or 1" from double wall pipe. Leave the pipes uninsulated if you cannot make these clearances.

o

Thanks - makes sense. I'll use the fibreglass wrap up to the 6" point.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumbing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here