Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gaviota_gal

Faucet caps with words Hot and Cold

gaviota_gal
11 years ago

We just moved into a house and the bathroom has two sinks and the faucets each have four prong handles. One set of handles has white caps with the words Hot and Cold and the caps are missing from the other set of handles. How can I find replacements? The caps measure between 7/8 and 1", hard for me to measure exactly. I have a photo but I haven't been able to attach it :(

Comments (15)

• gaviota_gal
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I think I may have found how to post the photo of the faucet handle caps. Here goes.

• homebound
    11 years ago

First I'd check around to see if a plumber left them in a drawer or something. Or find out the brand and just order them. I would contact the seller for brand info.

• homebound
    11 years ago

BTW, I think they "might" be from restoration hardware a couple years ago.

Another way to go would be to remove one and measure, etc. You can pull them up with your fingernail or the blade of a utility knife (gently).

• gaviota_gal
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi homebound: Thanks so much for the Restoration Hardware suggestion. The past owners are nowhere to be found. I will try RH and check. I think four of the bathroom mirrors may be from there so that is a great guess and I hadn't thought of it. I also appreciate the tip on how to remove the caps. I was sort of afraid to damage them. You make it sound easy so I'll give it a go.

Any other ideas? Either Internet or Los Angeles or Orange or San Diego County sources are all a possibility. Thanks.

• lazypup
    11 years ago

Take one of the handles that are missing the caps off and take it to you local ACE or True Value hardware store. Most of them keep a great assortment of generic caps that will match the originals. If you don't find them there, go to a real Plumbing Supply House.

Don't even waste your time with Lowes or Home Depot,,that is not a high demand item and it is doubtful if they would even know where to get them.

• gaviota_gal
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the info lazy pup; I'll try Restoration hardware now and try to get to Ace tonight. I appreciate the tip.

• snoonyb
    11 years ago

If you are on Gaviota in L.B. or Signal Hill, there is Don Miller on Redondo, Ferguson on paramount north of the 9!, and COD on Cherry north of South St.
    Since the shape of the handle is so generic, you might want to take one of the stems with you, as a further identifier.

• gaviota_gal
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi snoonyb: Thanks for the leads. I am a seagull lover, I don't live on the street by that name. Gaviota is Spanish for seagull. But I could easily travel to Long Beach and I appreciate the tip. I'm awaiting response from Restoration Hardware to see if they have any old caps that look like these. I hate to pay their prices but they offer good service and are researching it for me. I think now that the faucets are from them, just a few years back. If they don't have any old ones, and I can't find any from anywhere else that match, the gentleman at RH suggested I could remove these and replace both pairs with new ones. It is just that they are very expensive since you have to buy the entire metal piece they sit in and I don't like the new ones as much as they are printed faintly rather than the Vintage bold look of the ones I have.

I will try your sources to see if they have any that match. I will also go next week to Crown City Hardware in Pasadena. THey have a lot of odd restoration things and always amaze me. I had forgotten about them and a friend just reminded me.

I would love other suggestions. I'm sure there are people out there who have stashes of caps. I just need one pair :)
    Thanks to all.

• snoonyb
    11 years ago

Where in the LA basin are you, what city?

• graywings123
    11 years ago

I sent an e-mail to the company that made the faucets in my house and they sent me the caps for free.

• gaviota_gal
    Original Author
    11 years ago

To graywings: I wish that would happen with Restoration Hardware. The house has a few of their bathroom fixtures and mirrors. They were installed by the people who remodeled the house. Two bathroom lights, three faucets and five mirrors were in the house but the folks who we purchased from took one of the mirrors...I thought they couldn't do that but they did along with three cabinets. :(
    I just hope RH can match the dark print on the set we have. If not, it may be too expensive to buy two sets from them and I may have to look elsewhere for something that will fit. We have had so many repairs to do that there just isn't the money to buy two new quality faucets and this bathroom would be very nice except fot he caps missing.

• alan_s_thefirst
    11 years ago

Provided they're close, if they're all the same in each room, you're not going to notice. Ok, you might, but no-one else will.

• gaviota_gal
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi Alan, that's the problem, it is the master bath and both faucets are on the same vanity. It wouldn't look right to have two different colors.

• arbre
    10 years ago

So it's about one year later since this post began... and it seems I have the exact same problem... The posted photo shows the same faucet I have and both caps have broken (how does that happen?).

Did you ever have any success?

Thanks!