Return to the Plumbing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Back-to-back toilets react to each other when flushing, windy...

Posted by mrsfox (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 20, 13 at 0:24

I thought I posted this before, but now I can't find it. Anyway, my toilets are back-to-back (two adjacent bathrooms) and the water in the bowl fluctuates/moves; when flushing one, water in the other will move and sometimes it will lose some water down the pipe. The water in both toilets also moves when it is windy outside and they will both lose water. I've checked under the house and there are no leaks, so I am guessing it's suction from the vent? Is there any way I can fix this? Our toilets are "eco-friendly" as it is and when they lose water, there is almost nothing there, so I have to flush to get more water and then flush again after using it, so it's not eco-friendly anymore. :( I've asked the plumber who installed the toilets and he seems to think there's nothing that can be done. Thoughts?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Back-to-back toilets react to each other when flushing, windy

Most likely would be major revision of the DWV system for those toilets. Strong winds will affect the water level in almost all toilets.

o

Hello. Sometime ago I read there is a relationship between a chimney and the peak of a roof for draw. Maybe you have a problem like that. I would try to put a p trap at the top of the pipe. Measure the pipe hopefully it's ABS. Don't glue it you may want to remove it later. If that doesn't work extend the pipe so it's higher than the peak on the roof. This is all a guess but a cheap try.
Good Luck Woodbutcher

o

A trap in the vent above the fixture ? That would be a major violation of the code and a terrible idea. Vents must be able to drain completely (empty) by gravity. If the trap filled with rainwater, there would be no venting at all.

o

Hi, If the trap filled up it would be miracle. The P trap is upside down. Think of putting an upside U on top of the pipe. One end hooks to the pipe the other open end points to the roof.
Woodbutcher

o

Understood. Two elbows would do the same and look neater. Not sure if it would do anything about the commode trap draining from lower pressure on the vent. Could be assembled temporarily without cement for easy removal if desired.

This post was edited by bus_driver on Wed, Oct 30, 13 at 15:55

o

woodbutcher, what does making the pipe higher than the roof peak do? I do have an elbow on top of the pipe and we had the installing plumbers move the direction of it opposite of the most common wind direction in our area, but it hasn't helped much.

bus_driver, what can be done about the commode trap draining from lower pressure on the vent?

Thanks for the ideas. :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumbing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here