Return to the Plumbing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Elevated shower pan for basement BR - max height of threshold

Posted by hippityhoppy (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 9, 13 at 0:13

I am adding a shower to the basement Bathroom. What is the maximum height recommended from the floor to the shower's threshold?

The basement floor is concrete slab. The main waste pipe exits the house about 15' from the shower drain. The waste pipe is about 4" above the concrete floor. That is, it exits thru the foundation wall, not the floor.

Solution #1. We built a platform for the shower pan that is 6" above the concrete. That 6" accommodated the drain. Tests with water from the hose indicate it drains well.

However, when the shower pan is installed its' base and threshold added 6" more to the step up into the shower. The pan itself added 3" and the pan's threshold added 3".

So, to step up into the shower, one must raise one's foot 12" from the floor. Is that too high?

There are two other alternatives:

2. Another approach is to jackhammer the concrete slab and install waste pipes to a new sump pump. The plumber estimated the cost at $3,000 to install pipes from drain to the sump pump and connect to the waste pipe.

3. Elevate the Bathroom floor 4" to 6", placing a step into the BR. Then, the step up into the shower is diminished to 8" to 6".

Thank you for the benefit of your experience.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Elevated shower pan for basement BR - max height of threshold

#2 is the only correct way to do it.

#1 is the emergency room visit way that will cost you more than #2 in hospital bills or canceled insurance for creating such a safety hazard.

#3 can work in some situations, but in a basement with already low ceilings, you probably don't have the overall height to do this by the time you start adding the slope inside the shower. You have to have minimum head height requirements of 7' in the room and 6'8" for the shower. And that's LOW touch the ceiling every time you try to rinse the shampoo out of your hair yucky. It's never a good feel to step up into a cave. And it's another trip hazard to do so, even if it's less dangerous than #1.

o
RE: Elevated shower pan for basement BR - max height of threshold

Thanks, HollySprings,
That's great advise. I've been chewing on this issue for too long and need to move forward.

Your advise is excellent and I really appreciate your chiming in. These design matters can be challenging to DIY'ers. I did not want to create a hazard.

I'll go with #2, the sump pump.

Unfortunately that means when the electric goes out, with regular frequency in storms, there will be no drainage in the lower level. And, of course, a sump pump is one more thing to break down.

Rather a broken sump than a broken bone!
Thanks, again.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumbing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here