Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
intelinside1

Copper repipe or Pex repipe for 10 unit building?

intelinside1
9 years ago

So my condo association is trying to Repipe the building. We're trying to figure out if we should go with Pex vs Copper.

10 unit building - 8 1BR/1BTHS and 2 2BR/2BTHS one Laundrey machine

The lowest priced quote we've received is $25k for Copper and $22k for Pex full repipe.

In general what we've seen is Pex tends to be just about 3k less.

I was wondering what your ideas are for resell value, health, and which will last longer generally. We're located in Los Angeles so it's generally warm here if that helps.

Some have said Pex last longer and does not corrode. While others have said they don't trust Pex and we should go with Copper since it's tried and true.

Which do you guys think will last longer and have less repairs? Also are there any issues with drinking with plastic pipes like chemicals leeching into the water?

Thanks!

Comments (7)

• jakethewonderdog
    9 years ago

PEX is NSF certified - as is anything that comes into contact with drinking water. Chemical leeching isn't an issue.

There's no reason at all not to use PEX. It's proven stuff. I'm surprised the cost difference isn't greater though. Not only are the materials much cheaper, it's easier to install as well - fewer fittings.

Where I might be cautious about PEX is where there is likelihood of rodents. They will sometimes chew on PEX.

• snoonyb
    9 years ago

There are and have been two general methods of potable water piping, here on the truly left coast.

Individually metered and piped units, which are not fed thru adjacent units.

Individually metered and piped units where the meters are all in a central location and the mains are enclosed in a central shaft, too the individual units.

In the CC&R's, who is responsible for repairs?

Is the piping now copper and when was the building built?

• intelinside1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The HOA is doing it and I'm on the HOA.

The building was built in 1961 and it has galvanized water.

I think we're going to share the meter. Not individual. This should keep it cheaper.

My main concern at this time is how soon the system would degrade? Which would last longer PEX or Copper? Seems like scientists say PEX last long, but it's only been around in california for a few years.

I've seen first hand copper corroding with pinhole leaks after just 20 years, but I don't know if that was just a fluke

• snoonyb
    9 years ago

Installing PEX is a natural upgrade.

However, although the wall and ceiling damage/repair are substantially less with PEX because of this, strapping and stabilizing of the material can be ignored or brushed off.

This can result in banging in walls when faucets are opened and closed.

Get a list of multi use clients and ask the residents, not the management.

• lee676
    9 years ago

I've seen first hand copper corroding with pinhole leaks after just 20 years, but I don't know if that was just a fluke

No, it wasn't a fluke. I've had multiple pinhole leaks in 3 of the last 4 places I've lived that had copper pipes.

Copper is overrated.

• intelinside1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I see. yeah I'm kinda leaning towards PEX at this point. A lot of others in my building think Copper just cuz that's what they know

• jakethewonderdog
    9 years ago

I've had the same experience with pinholes in copper when they had used thinwall copper and had a recirculating pump on the hot water side that ran constantly. The combination of thin copper, and constant erosion from the moving water was the culprit.

If you are looking at using a circulating pump, use PEX