Return to the Plumbing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Anti-Hammer Water Arrester Question

Posted by braytonak (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 26, 07 at 23:31

My water line does not have an expansion tank on it. My LG washer loves to diddle around with the water when it first starts. (My guess is that it's sampling the water temperature, or it's trying to fill the soap cups without foaming over.) It turns off and on repeatedly at least six or seven times...per line. My dishwasher is even worse. It sounds like I'm banging my hand on the wall when it turns off.

I found this item on the Lowe's web site (it may ask you for your Zip code...put in 99517 to see what I see): http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=24696-1816-10660&lpage=none

Is this kind of item pointless because of its small size? Due to the amount of stress this causes on my pipes, I was even thinking of putting one on each end of the washing machine hoses. Although an expansion tank is the best thing, I won't be able to get that installed until next year. (Sometimes when you just don't have much money left, you just don't have much money left!) One thing that's annoying is seeing that this item is $6 cheaper in the Seattle area. Hmpf.

Are these ever sold to go on dishwasher lines, too?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Anti-Hammer Water Arrester Question

It's important to understand what water hammer is.

When a column of water is moving through a pipe and then the water is stopped very quickly, the inertia of the water has considerable force behind it. Since water can't compress, there's nothing to cushion the impact other than flexing the walls of the pipes, etc.

Water hammer arresters work by providing an air cushion, near the "point of impact" such as the valve that is suddenly closing. An expansion tank elsewhere in the system won't do much good. The item that you are looking at should help considerably.

I would start with one on each of the washing machine lines. They do sell something similar for the dishwasher.

Something to look for is if the air chamber is sealed from the water. If not, the air cushion eventually dissipates. Since the product you are looking at will work upside-down, it suggests a sealed chamber.

BTW: The LG washing machines are cool. Part of what it is doing is determining how much water to add. It is adding water a little at a time and then checking the resistance to turning the tub.

o

Thanks for the detailed info. I picked up two of these to put on my washer, as a start. I may have seen the one that would work for the dishwasher, but it was meant to be sweat onto the line. Thanks for helping clear up the difference effectiveness between these and the expansion tank.

As for the LG's, yes, they do that fill - pause - fill routine, but the part that jolts the water lines is the very start of the cycle. (The first 10 ~ 15 seconds.) Other than that, I love them! A little overkill, but there's nothing they can't clean!

o

Contrary to the common opinion, water velocity has very little to do with water hammer.

Water hammer occurs because while the flow is occurring the internal pressure in the line drops to Dynamic head pressure, which is static head pressure minus Friction head loss and vertical static head loss. The moment that the flow stops the entire piping system immediately jumps back up to static head pressure which results in water hammer. This explains why water hammer often occurs on long lines at a fairly good distance away from the offending valve.

o

I installed the units you linked to.. they work GREAT.

o

It's always good to hear positive feedback on something you buy. Whew!

o

My pipes bang in the opposite corner of the kitchen from where my faucet is installed - typically while running the water. I get a consistent low level hammer. Where should the arrester be installed? At the faucet, or at the nearest valve where the banging is occurring?

Here is a link that might be useful: Diy crib

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumbing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here