Return to the Plumbing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
5600 Econominder water softener: Start-up Procedure

Posted by chad1973 (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 12, 10 at 23:25

I have recently moved into a home that has a 5600 Econominder water softener installed. The water softener is not on and I would like to use it. I'm having difficulty interpreting the directions in the service manual.
1) I have aligned the grains per gallon water hardness scale to the number of people in the house.

2) The first set of directions that I don't understand: "Rotate the program wheel counterclockwise until it stops at the regeneration position."
There is a white dot on the program wheel and an arrow painted on the face of the meter right above the program wheel. Should the white dot be lined up with the arrow - is that the regeneration position?

3) The next set of directions that I don't understand: "Manually index the control to the brine draw position and allow the control to draw water from the brink tank until it stops."
"Brine Draw" is not one of the settings on the control wheel. The options available are: Settle Rinse, Brine Refill, In Serv, Regen, Rinse/Back-wash, Brine + Rinse, Rapid Rinse. Which one do I choose?

4) "Manually advance the control to the beginning of the brine fill position and allow the control to return to the service position automatically."
Which setting do I choose for "the beginning of the brine fill position?"

Thank you for your assistance with this.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 5600 Econominder water softener: Start-up Procedure

First, consider that the softener is not in service because it has a problem or a leak.

Second, You need to know the water conditions so you can compute the compensated hardness.

With that info and the # of people you can calculate the settings of the 5600 Econominder. You have to include a reserve in your calculations also.

The setting procedure is harder to describe than to do and here's the best tutorial I've found click here for tutorial

You'd probably be wise to call a local independent water treatment pro and have them come out to check the softener for proper operation and if it's working correctly set it up properly.

o
RE: 5600 Econominder water softener: Start-up Procedure

You'll also need to know the volume of resin in the resin tank. That can be determined by the size of the tank. Look on the tall torpedo tank the Econominder is on for a sticker that indicates the size.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumbing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here