Return to the Plumbing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How Do I Raise The Plumbing Behind the Vanity?

Posted by Kdrosas (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 2, 12 at 23:06

Our bathroom remodel has forced us to learn some basic plumbing skills. With the tub successfully installed and the plumbing moved over to center with the wider tub we now have a new issue!

The vanity we purchased would have higher plumbing to meet the sinks than the old.

The way our plumbing is for the double sinks now-
the 2x4's have been cut out to give room for the pipes and a brace has been placed.

What would be the best way to raise the plumbing without compromising the integrity of the suppot beams? Sorry if this is a silly question, we are completely new to plumbing but pretty dedicated to DIYing this.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How Do I Raise The Plumbing Behind the Vanity?

Due to numerous code restrictions raising that horizontal drain line in the wall could prove to be a very difficult undertaking.

The simple solution would be to keep the trap where it is and install a longer tailpiece on the sink. Code will allow a maximum 12" vertical tailpiece from the sink drain inlet to the water level in the trap.

Typically a lavatory countertop is 32" to 34" high and the sink drain opening is 6" to 8" below the countertop. In the worst case scenario with a 34" countertop and a 6" sink the drain opening would still be 28" above teh floor, and your existing trap is 18" above the floor so a 10" extension tailpiece would be all you require.

o

I'm not an expert, but if that's an exterior or load bearing wall, it might have been better to drill holes for the drain line instead of lopping off the 2x4s. You may want to consider putting in some sister studs to return the load carrying capacity. Those "braces" aren't accomplishing much.

o

"Those "braces" aren't accomplishing much."

They protect the pipe from drywall screws, nothing structural about them.

o

I'm not sure if you're a contrarian or something else. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt once again.

Your comment is inane. The pipe appears to be set back far enough to be safe from normal drywall screws. But say someone used too-long screws, just what do you think having that wood there accomplishes? If the screw is long enough to hit the pipe, it'll hit the pipe. But the screws will oc of the 2x4s and not hit the "braces" anyway.

o

That notching is not as bad as you all imagine. That is a 2x6 or maybe 2x8 wet wall.

o

Does one ever need to raise the plumbing because of a new sink? I've always had plumbers simply connect the "water in" pipes to the faucet w/ that flexible pipe, and the drain simply gets an extender to go down to wherever the drain itself is mounted on the wall. Sometimes even sideways!

It's actually pretty simple; I've had 4 sinks replaced, and that's what they did in every case.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumbing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here