Return to the Plumbing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
A very stupid question re D sinks

Posted by stripedbass (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 1, 14 at 23:02

When a D sink is installed does it matter how you position it? In other words, if you want the drain to be close to the wall as opposed to it being close to the cabinet door, does it matter?

I ask because my plumber is saying that if I have the drain close to the cabinet door the disposal might not fit because it will be too close to the cabinet door.

I'm enclosing a photo of my sink so that you can see what a D sink looks like (in case you don't know what I'm talking about).

photo IMG_2377_zps20af1cff.jpg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: A very stupid question re D sinks

That would be the normal configuration.

o

I think your plumber is right. The drain should be at the top, toward the rear. My mom had her's mounted so that the curve of the D was at the rear (or top).

Also, you may have a lot of faucet splash if you mount the drain at the front/bottom like pictured instead of the other way around, depending on faucet location.

o

Thanks.

o

Your replies are proving very helpful. Thanks.

The photo below is of the used garbage disposal that I got from someone and wanted to use. If I still end up using this disposal (if it fits under my sink cabinet without hitting the cabinet door), what would you recommend that I buy, in terms of parts for it, so that it can work well?

photo IMG_2884_zpsf762126e.jpg

o

Honestly, I wouldn't dink with it.

For $100 you can get a new 1/2 hp ISE with all the parts you need and no corrosion.

What you have is obviously not a $100 disposal, but it is used and was taken out of service for a reason. Often by the time they have set for any time they will corrode inside and lock up.

o

Thanks for the advice, jakethewonderdog.

I finally made a decision on a garbage disposer.

Instead of the Inksinkerator Badger 5 (which is a very common disposer sold at Home Depot), this is the one I'm going to buy:

http://products.geappliances.com/App...ge&Sku=GFC530V

It's the current version of this discontinued disposer (which was rated 3rd best disposer by Consumer Reports Magazine):

http://www.abt.com/product/6088/GE-GFC530F.html

The customer reviews for it on Amazon seem to be really good. One of the reviews says it's much quieter than the Badger 5.

I had never bought a disposer before so I definitely needed to read Consumer Reports Magazine.

The last review I could find on garbage disposers was from August 2009.

o

This has nothing to do about the relative quality of the units, but I've always preferred the sound of the lower RPM motors in the ISE units over the GE motors. It's like the rumble of a washing machine vs the whine of a vacuum cleaner.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumbing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here