Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
talley_sue_nyc

need a needle-sharp shower head

talley_sue_nyc
11 years ago

my teenage son takes the world's longest showers. And bcs we're in an apt. bldg, we don't run out of hot water, so that won't get him out.

Bugging him doesn't do any good.

But he did mention that a shower he'd used somewhere else made him take a short shower because it was so sharp. So, I figured if I switch shower heads, that might help.

Got any suggestions? Our water pressure is just okay, not great, so a low-flow one would be a good idea as well.

Comments (18)

• Elmer J Fudd
    11 years ago

Where I live, you can't buy anything other than low flow shower heads. There's no need to look for something special, that's all there is!

The smaller the diameter of the head, the harder the water flow will seem, when comparing the same flow rate between different heads.

On the other hand, if his water use isn't causing a financial problem for you, why not let him enjoy his long showers? I took long showers as a teenager, didn't you? Better to have a kid taking long showers, than to have one who doesn't bathe often enough.

• talley_sue_nyc
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Well, unfortunately, I've got one of each--all in the same kid. And it matters because he doesn't have that hour and a half in his life! We fight over whether he should start his shower at 9pm, and if he starts it at 11 the way he wants, he doesn't get in bed until 1:30am. And he has to get up at 6:30 and leave for school at 7:15.

Believe me, his showers are causing a big problem.

And we have a low-flow shower head in the other bathroom, and believe me, it is NOT needle-sharp. And that's what I'm looking for--a shower head that boosts the flow so much that it's not actually comfortable to luxuriate under.

Because HIS showers are 90 minutes long, or longer.

• ionized_gw
    11 years ago

Put a campground-style valve in there so he has to keep pushing a button down.

This post reminds me of an incident that happened at my parents house. The family was gathered for an event and one of my sister's kids was headed for the shower, but he was going for the tub/shower instead of the usual stall shower bathroom. As he was passing by with his towel and questioned about his choice, he responded. "I don't feel like being power washed tonight.

That shower head did not bother most folks, but he did not like it. Some of the early, compact, water-saving shower heads were pretty abrasive. They looked something like the ACE PUSH BUTTON shower head that I just got to come up on a Google search.

• talley_sue_nyc
    Original Author
    11 years ago

ionized, I thought of that camp-style valve! (they're like the service-station washroom faucets).

I should try to avoid ones that can be shut off at the nozzle--someone in the bldg had a shower w/ a similar eature, and her visitors turned it off at the shower head but left the faucets themselves ON, and we had crossover w/ the hot water, and were heating all the cold water in the building.

• lazypup
    11 years ago

I don't think its a shower head issue,,I think its a matter of determining who is "Head of Household"

• alan_s_thefirst
    11 years ago

My thoughts too, Lazypup. It speaks volumes.

• r3venton
    11 years ago

If you shower more than 10 minutes i will take away "x" privilege. Rip on anear and make him admit he is wasting water. Confront him on his likely reason for such a long shower, etc. That is just not acceptable.

• piedmontnc
    11 years ago

padlock the door open and take the shower curtain

• alan_s_thefirst
    11 years ago

R3venton, why what on *earth* are you suggesting?

LOL.

OP, be a parent. If your kids don't accept there are rules they just have to follow, they'll remain perpetual, petulant adolescents, demanding to get their way.

• graywings123
    11 years ago

Any shower head capable of being needle-sharp is likely to have a lever to adjust it to less needle-y.

• ionized_gw
    11 years ago

The kind I referred to had no adjustment.

• cindywhitall
    11 years ago

Take the lock of the door so you can barge in and shut off the water. Get him a timer for the bathroom and give him a set amount of time to shower. If he goes past the time you can either barge in and take control, OR if nobody else is using the water, go to the main shutoff valve for the house and turn off the shower from there! He will learn. Better yet, can you just turn off the HOT water? That might be worse than turning it all off!!

Seriously, taking showers that long is wrong on so many levels...water waste, HOT water heating energy waste, time waste, and obvious lack of control by parent.

My parents would not have tolerated it. My kids don't want to waste that much time in there. They are 19 and 22 and take reasonable showers.

Do you have a tub? Maybe a bath would be more up his alley if he just needs time alone in the water....

• cindywhitall
    11 years ago

oops, missed that you are in apt building, so you won't have access to shut off the hot water. Is there any kind of water shut off valve in your apt? Maybe in the utility room? Is there an access panel in the wall of the room the shower backs up to? Going to have to go with taking off bathroom lock, or getting a keyed lock if other people would object to no lock.

• greg_2010
    11 years ago

Most (all?) bathroom door locks have an option where you can stick a coat hanger wire (or a specially made "key" wire) into the doorknob to pop the lock so that you can gain access even if somebody locks the door. The purpose of these internal privacy locks is just to keep someone from accidentally walking in.
    Pop the lock and ask him why he's taking so long. Annoy him enough and he'll get out and go shut himself in his room. Do this enough and he'll get the hint that it isn't enjoyable to take showers that are too long.

• cindywhitall
    11 years ago

Annoying usually works very well!!!

• mike_kaiser_gw
    11 years ago

With all due respect to the OP, taking a 90 minute shower is a ridiculous waste of natural resources and I suspect that if you were paying the water bill and electric/gas bill to heat the water this would have been resolved a long time ago. Frankly you need to set a reasonable amount of time for a shower and enforce that limit.

If you're looking for a mechanical solution, replace the shower head with a brass cap of the appropriate size. Drill a single hole in it about 1/8" in diameter. That should give your son enough water to wash his body.

• lazypup
    11 years ago

When I first read the question I was prepared to recommend exactly the shower head he is looking for, and it only costs about $4, but on second thought,,,,

If there is any parent out there who does not command enough parental authority to simply tell the child their time is up then they have a serious social problem that will not and cannot be resolved with a shower head.

Irrespective of how big or how old a child is, the parents owe an obligation to themselves, the child and the society as a whole to instill discipline.

Many of you are asking what the boy does in the shower so long...that is easy,,,he is staying in the shower in defiance of parental authority and if that is allowed to continue the defiance will spill over into all aspects of that childs life.

The bottom line, tell your kids what my daddy told me..."While your under my roof, your under my rules!"

If you fail to get command of the child then you can expect to spend your future visiting him in jail or the cemetery adn there is no shower head that is going to change that future outlook.

• live_wire_oak
    11 years ago

I'd bet the boy needs a lock on his bedroom door and some privacy there instead of seeking that privacy in a 90 minute shower. Perhaps if he gets some of that "alone time" for his normal hormonal urges he won't be spending so much time in the shower. And if he still does, then it's time to install a shutoff for the hot water that you can control external to the bathroom. A few cold showers will cure that particular urge---in the shower at least.