Return to the Plumbing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pex vs. copper plumbing for new construction with well water?

Posted by threeapples (My Page) on
Fri, Sep 30, 11 at 22:37

Hi,
We are hearing the pros and cons of both systems and leaning toward Pex because of the cost of copper, but also because we hear that copper doesn't work with well water. I'm learning quickly that Gardenweb is a fantastic resource, so though I'd ask about these options here.
Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pex vs. copper plumbing for new construction with well water?

To discuss this intelligently we'd need to see the results of a comprehensive test of your well water.

o

"...also because we hear that copper doesn't work with well water."

The unstated assumption in what you hear is that the water is acidic. Maybe, maybe not. Only way to know is have it tested.

Non-metallic piping sidesteps the corrosion issue, and there's no argument about the price difference versus "plastic", but if your water is acidic you will need to treat regardless as other components in the plumbing have metal parts; typically brass/bronze alloys.

o

Since the days that we dug wells by hand in my area, and I helped on some of those, observation tells me that the analysis of the water in a particular well can change over time. And most of the well water in my area does damage copper pipe. For that reason, I used only stainless steel pump and fittings and polyethylene pipe in my well. And avoided copper and brass as much as possible in the above-ground fittings. No regrets. Now 6 years with no repairs and hoping for at least 15 more years of trouble-free service.

o

Pex still uses brass fittings in contact with the water.

o

CPVC uses a minimum of brass. Glowgard Gold is a better grade of CPVC, much better in my opinion.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumbing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here