Return to the Plumbing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
tub drain seal leak

Posted by ntruro (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 5, 10 at 20:52

I have a slow leak (a few drops per hour) in a tub drain seal. The water is leaking from the seal between the tub and the drain shoe. There is a black rubber gasket between these two surfaces that is compressed when the drain basket is screwed into the shoe. I've tried replacing this gasket but it still leaks. And I've re-puttied the basket seal twice.

Should I try putting joint compound on both sides of the gasket?

TIA

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: tub drain seal leak

"I have a slow leak (a few drops per hour) in a tub drain seal."

The drain to the tub itself or one of the joints in the drain line?

If the seal to the tub itself is leaking, try tightening the nut.

If the leak is on the drain line, a seal is often upside down.

o

The leak is at the connection between the drain shoe and the bottom of the tub. A black round gasket is compressed between these two when the drain basket is tightened (yes, with a drain wrench).

I've tried tightening the drain basket, re-doing the plumbers putty around the basket, and putting 3 wraps of red (pink) teflon tape on the basket threads, and, yet, it still leaks very slowly. Would coating the black gasket with silicone sealant work?

TIA

o

"Would coating the black gasket with silicone sealant work? "

Only until the silicone looses its bond to the tub's exterior from repeated thermal expansion and contraction of the tub.

Gaskets are use in place of plumbers putty, rarely with plumbers putty.

A thicker and softer gasket would likely be a better choice.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumbing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here