Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chitown72_gw

Water not draining fast enough through drain in laundry room

ChiTown72
10 years ago

I recently purchased a new GE top load washer and the 1st load I did flooded my laundry room because the water drained so fast, it came up the drain pipe. I was told that I must have a clog so I had the drain snaked, but the plummer said he didn't find it to be clogged. He suggested that my new washer drains the water too fast and my drain can't handle it. It makes sense because my 4 yr old Fisher & Paykel washer didn't have that problem, it drained fine. He suggested that I change the drain pipe to a larger 2 inch and that should handle the fast drainage of my new washer. Wanting some feedback from anyone with knowledge of this before I take on that expense.

Comments (8)

• klem1
    10 years ago

Your name stirs memories of Frank Hawley and"The Chi-Town Hustler"so I thank you for exciting memories.
    I would probably get a secound plumber's opinion before undertaking the plumbing redo. Meanwhile,this will let you use the new appliances. You may even decide to keep it permanantly along with the money it would cost to change plumbing.
    Precisly measure inside diamiter of drain hose or better still,carry the hose to a hardware store and buy 24" of two or three hoses with different inside dia that fit tight inside drain hose. Pick up 2 stainless steel clamps for drain hose O.D. Back at home, re-install drain hose and insert and clamp new hose with largest I.D. inside drain hose. Kinda gross but saliva makes it easier to push in. Insert the remaining 18" of new hose into plumbing drain and test run a drain cycle. The smaller hose probibly won't flow enough to overflow. If it still backs up,go to next smaller I.D. hose.

• homebound
    10 years ago

Drain it into a laundry sink.

But a 2" drain would help, too (assuming all else is fine). How far would he run the 2" pipe and where would it tie in? Is the drain stack nearby or would he be busting up the floor, etc to do this?

• jackfre
    10 years ago

The 1 1/2" drain is undersized. Code requires a 2" drain for a washing machine. Also coming into play here is how long the trap arm is before the vent take off that branch of the drain line. If it is to long before the vent, then that can screw it up too.

I can't imagine replacing a FP with a GE. We love the FP.

• ChiTown72
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks to everyone for the responses. I've looked in several hardware stores and have yet to find a hose small enough that will fit into my existing drain hose. The closest I got was a dishwasher rubber hose that was small enough but being rubber they were all kinked so bad in the package that I didn't think they would have a good flow thus defeating the purpose. I will continue to search for this hose as I do believe this might work.

In response to those that suggested I install a sink, I don't have enough space in my laundry room to have one, wish I did.

My Fisher & Paykel washer worked very well until it needed a repair. The only local repair man in my area could not figure out what was wrong with it. He said it was my drain pump. I had it replaced but it still didn't work then he said that I must have a bad new pump. So I had the FP co replace that one and still my washer wouldn't work. After that the repair man conveniently disappeared and he wouldn't return my calls. FP people in New Zealand were very polite but NO help whatsoever and they took forever to send both pumps. The fact that there isn't anyone in my area that can fix a FP appliance or get any useful customer service from FP, I will never buy their products again. My washer is only 4 yrs old and it sits in my utility room till I find someone who can fix and take off my hands.

Several plumbers that I've spoken to have suggested that I replace my drain pipe to a 2". I just wanted to try and find a more convenient and cheaper solution but I suppose I'll have to replace it eventually.

I will post an update in the next couple of days as I figure out best possible solution.

Again, thanks to all for the responses. All suggestions are appreciated.

• ChiTown72
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks to everyone for the responses. I've looked in several hardware stores and have yet to find a hose small enough that will fit into my existing drain hose. The closest I got was a dishwasher rubber hose that was small enough but being rubber they were all kinked so bad in the package that I didn't think they would have a good flow thus defeating the purpose. I will continue to search for this hose as I do believe this might work.

In response to those that suggested I install a sink, I don't have enough space in my laundry room to have one, wish I did.

My Fisher & Paykel washer worked very well until it needed a repair. The only local repair man in my area could not figure out what was wrong with it. He said it was my drain pump. I had it replaced but it still didn't work then he said that I must have a bad new pump. So I had the FP co replace that one and still my washer wouldn't work. After that the repair man conveniently disappeared and he wouldn't return my calls. FP people in New Zealand were very polite but NO help whatsoever and they took forever to send both pumps. The fact that there isn't anyone in my area that can fix a FP appliance or get any useful customer service from FP, I will never buy their products again. My washer is only 4 yrs old and it sits in my utility room till I find someone who can fix and take off my hands.

Several plumbers that I've spoken to have suggested that I replace my drain pipe to a 2". I just wanted to try and find a more convenient and cheaper solution but I suppose I'll have to replace it eventually.

I will post an update in the next couple of days as I figure out best possible solution.

Again, thanks to all for the responses. All suggestions are appreciated.

• klem1
    10 years ago

Lowes and Home Depot has a large selection of hose sold by the foot. If by chance a pipe fits ,that will work. Just make certain whatever is used fits well enough not to come loose unexpected.

• jackfre
    10 years ago

Bummer on the FP. Fortunately, we have a local appliance store that has parts and service technicians on staff. I do understand how you feel. Darned shame!