Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dneubecker

Can you solve a mystery?

mdln
9 years ago

Can anyone solve this mystery for me?

I bought (14 yrs ago) a cape cod style house built in 1923. The previous owner installed interior drain tile in the basement. The layout is identical to a Sears home plan. (Not sure if this is relevant.)

In the basement, located off center about 5-ft from one wall, there was a 3-ft tall, 4-in diameter heavy metal (cast iron, I think) hollow pipe sticking up from the floor. The top of it was covered tightly with plastic & duct tape, with a heavy piece of 5-in round iron drain grate sitting on top of the plastic.

The previous owner was not available, and real estate agent and bldg inspector did not know what it was. Since it didn't cause any problems, I just left it alone. When I finally removed the plastic & tape (after it being on there for at least 13 yrs), a few days later water came out of it - the first time this happened in 13 years.

Needing to replace an above floor ejector pit, with an in-floor one, the plumber removed the pipe. He said the mystery pipe did not seem to be connected to anything.

Any ideas????

Thank you.

Comments (3)