Return to the Plumbing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
cast iron sink installation help

Posted by strandwitz (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 23, 10 at 19:38

I recently purchased the 4 ft Brockway sink by Kohler (see link below for picture)

My contractor is saying that he doesn't believe this sink can be installed in the bathroom due to it's weight. Can anyone give me some advice on how to install it safely? I already have the fittings in place for the plumbing and don't believe it can be returned anymore.

I contacted Kohler and they were only able to direct me to their spec sheet for installation of the hangers that come with the sink.

Does anyone have any further advice?

Thanks.

Here is a link that might be useful: Brockway sink

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: cast iron sink installation help

Well, it seems to me that it will need to be directly mounted to the studs in the wall.

o
RE: cast iron sink installation help

The chances that the holes in the mounting bracket are going to line up with your studs in such a way that it positions the sink exactly where you want it is pretty slim.

We had a much smaller wall-mounted cast iron sink in the house I am remodeling. Additional blocking was added between the studs at the appropriate level and supported with jack studs (not just nailed to the existing studs). Unless you are incredibly lucky, you'll probably have to open the wall up and add to the framing so that you have something solid to screw into in the exact location you need.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumbing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here