Return to the Plumbing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Holding Tanks vs Drain Fields

Posted by blueheron (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 9, 10 at 19:37

DH and I are selling our cottage on the river. It is under agreement and today was the house inspection.

This cottage was probably built in the 1920's and added on through the years. The sewage system was probably installed 25 years ago or so. We bought it 10 years ago.

The inspector found that there is only a holding tank, not a drain field and only the toilet is attached to the holding tank, not the gray water, which runs under the cottage. We had no idea about this since we only spent time there in the summer and had no idea how the sewage system was set up.

The REA called us today to tell us what happened at the inspection. We aren't sure what is necessary to comply with local regulations and pass inspection. Can a drain field be added to a holding tank or must the whole thing be dug up and a new system installed? Yikes! I hope not.

I would appreciate any ideas about this.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Holding Tanks vs Drain Fields

You can not add a drain field to a holding tank. To comply with regs in most areas the grey water will need to be sent to the tank.

o

You may have problems installing any type of drain field near a river.

The potential for contamination of the river is very high, and the available soil depth before you hit the water table may be inadequate.

A holding tank and periodic pumping, or hooking up to a municipal sewer, may be the only options.

Even aerobic treatment and discharge is often restricted near bodies of water.

o

Regulations vary... the controlling environmental health department for your area can advise you regarding current the current requirements.

More likely than not you'll be spending a chunk of money to bring the cottage to current regulations.

o

How involved is it to send the gray water to the holding tank?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumbing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here