Return to the Plumbing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
New Water Line from Meter to House

Posted by Daymon (My Page) on
Tue, Sep 27, 11 at 19:31

We are clearing a lot for a home and need to run a water supply line from the meter to the house. The approximate distance is 1000 feet. There is good water preassure in the area thanks to a water tower close by. I am going to use PVC, and was thinking 1" would be ok, but was told by a friend to use 1 1/4". Whats the best way to do this? It is a 2 bathroom 2400 square foot home, nothing major for usage, just normal appliances and bathroom uses. There is not much elevation change, maybe a rise of 4' at the most from the meter to the house. We are in South Carolina and i am not sure where the frost line is, but i am sure i can find out locally before hand. Thanks for any help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: New Water Line from Meter to House

Use flexible line that has no joints of whatever type the AHJ will allow.

o

I agree with Brickeyee on the flexible line. You might be able to get it in 500' rolls. There will probably be a choice on stregnth of the line and I would spring for the heaviest. And you should find the frost line and what the local code is on burial depth so that you don't get a freeze up.

o

For single family residential service code requires that the water supply line must be sized to supply 100% total fixture load, where the fixture load is determined by the code table for individual fixture demands.
Individual fixture demands per code table:
BATH = WC 3, tub/shwr 4 & lav 2 = 9gpm x2 = 18gpm
Kitchen- Sink 2.5 & DW 2.75 = 5.25gpm
Laundry 4gpm
Hose Bibb 5gpm
TOTAL 32.25gpm ( round to 30gpm)
In a 1" plastic pipe the friction head loss is 0.2869psi/ft and the run is 1000ft for a total friction head loss of 286psi loss.
at 1-1/4 the friction head loss is 0.0702psi/ft x 1000ft = 70psi loss.
At 1-1/2 the friction head loss is 0.0322psi/ft x 1000ft = 32psi loss.
For a 1000ft run the preferred size would be 2" pipe which would yield a friction head loss of 0.92psi/ft x 1000ft = a loss of 9psi below the static head pressure at the meter.
(Loss based up using PE plastic pipe)

o

Have you thought about yard watering? Would you ever want to put in a sprinkler system?

o

The pressure losses shown by lazypup are at the calculated flow of 32.25 gpm. At lower flow rates, the pressure loss is lower. I suspect that the flow rate of 32.25 gpm will be seen very rarely in your situation.

o

It doesn't matter if it never sees that peak load, code requires the line to be sized to max and in most jurisdictions you can not even pull a permit until you do the math.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumbing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here