Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dfairleigh11

Replacement Well Pump Trouble

dfairleigh11
9 years ago

Over the last winter, we had the well pump at our beach cabin freeze and shatter the housing. Replaced the pump with a similar model, but in the process had to replace the check valve that is inline between the pump and well, which resulted in losing the suction from the well and all the water draining out of the pipe. We replaced the pressure tank as well after hearing some weird gurgling sounds and assuming that the tank was probably leaking after freezing too.

Long story short, the new pump cycles on for about 2 seconds at first, then just one second, about once a minute, indefinitely. Water pressure appears to build just fine up to 28 psi in the first two second run, where the pump cuts off (30/50 pressure switch). Pressure never gets higher, regardless of how long we leave it switched on. Tank PSI is set to the appropriate (cut-in minus 2), 28psi. Pump is properly primed each time before switching on, and there are no leaks. I've suspected for some time that the pump might have been DOA - I've tried the old and new pressure switches and both exhibit the same behavior - especially since when I hook a hose up and drain the pressure in the tank, it doesn't kick in as soon as the pressure drops below 30psi, just sticks to it's once-a-minute routine.

This is a shallow well, into sand, and should have a bountiful supply of water in it - what are we doing wrong? Do we have to use a trash pump or something to pull water up from the well first? We tried filling up the well supply pipe first but it swallowed 9 gallons of water without even blinking.

I really would love the help to solve this one and not have to call in a plumber!

Comments (3)