Return to the Plumbing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Installing hand shower to roman tub spout

Posted by olivea (My Page) on
Fri, Sep 24, 10 at 18:00

I have a deck-mounted roman tub faucet with 3 holes (for the hot nozzle, the cold nozzle, and the gooseneck spout). I want to install a hand shower, but don't see any hardware online that will allow me to do this. It seems like they expect you to tear out the tub, and change the rough-in to a 4 hole one (with the recessed hand shower slot). I don't want to tear up my tub to get this working. Is there any other way? I am a complete novice who knows nothing about plumbing - I would appreciate any help. Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Installing hand shower to roman tub spout

I don't think there is an off the shelf solution to simply add a handshower --

But if you don't want to tear up the deck, then consider a single handle roman tub faucet with a hand shower --

http://faucets.efaucets.com/nav/ct2/onehandlewithhandshower/ct1/romantubfaucets/0

Of course, that part of the plumbing will need to be redone -- but then probably no tile or tub work.

o

Hi,
We are also looking for a solution for the same problem and were wondering if you found an answer. If so, could you guide as well.
Thanks

o

please check out this video on youtube.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_CC0-yBqVA

o

I'm having this same issue and there doesn't seem to be a great solution anywhere, so i'm bumping the thread in the hopes that someone knowledgeable will have a bright idea. I considered the solution suggested by peteinsonj, above, but since the current tub filler is deck mounted in tile with no access panel I don't see how to change the plumbing 'guts' without ripping up the deck. Am I missing something?

o

In some instances you can access the tub mixer by coming in from the back through an adjacent room.

It should also be mentioned that if you install a hand shower on the tub spout you are also required to install a backflow preventer on the hand shower line.

o

Thank you for adding your thoughts. I unfortunately cannot access the plumbing this way [the 'back' walls are second story exterior walls], but maybe this idea will help someone else.

o

There is a Company that made a fixture just for those cases where the people don't want to bother the tiles or deck, this is a in-line diverter attached to the Spout and has two outlets one for the spout and one for the handshower, here is the e-mai of that company who made this adaption:
dolphinengineering@gmail.com

I hope that this can help to solve the problem.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumbing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here