Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jlirot

tankless vs. tank water heater

jlirot
11 years ago

I have read some of the archives but still have some questions.

I have an interesting problem. I just did all the plumbing set up for my new construction. It's all in - including a recirculation loop.

at the beginning of the job my plumbers talked me out of a tankless unit. They said that with the size of the house they would recommend an 80 gal (I think) heater and recirc system. They said they would give me a tankless but that i wouldn't be happy with it. If I just use the tankless it would take a long time for water to get to the faucets and if i use the recirc - it would run all the time. So, I decided to go with the tank heater.

Fast forward to the end of the job. Where we have put a spot for the heater I was told I need forced air in and out because there is not enough air in the room and too many bends for the exhaust. The problem is that the cost of the heater and installation was quoted at $5K!!!

If I had known the cost ahead of time - I would have found a different spot for it.

Now, I'm wondering what I should do. Figure out how to put a tankless in - it's what I wanted originally. Or buy the $5k forced air and exhaust model. Or dink around with trying to move the heater location.

My house is about 2400 square feet. 2 sinks in kitchen, dishwasher, 2.5 baths, and a washing machine. and a plan to add another bath and sink downstairs (another 1k square feet) eventually (could add separate heater for that if needed).

Thoughts?

Comments (3)