Return to the Plumbing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
uv light vs chlorinator??

Posted by w8nc (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 11, 13 at 16:07

Is one more effective than the other to handle a coliform test of 1?? On another forum they I was told the uv light only "scrambles" the DNA so as to not reproduce so I need a chlorinator to actually kill the bacteria. Is this correct??

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: uv light vs chlorinator??

Part of it depends on where you are doing the work.
UV light doesn't work well on hard water, as the bacteria can be behind the hardness. So then you would have to put the light after the softener, and thus run the 'dirty' water through the softener.

The chlorine would be in front of the softener, but I believe would require a filter to remove the chlorine (prior to softening if necessary).

o

In water and wastewater treatment plant that use UV systems the water being treated has to be rather clean as scale build up on the light tubes will lessen the UV rays. Cl2 is added before UV.

Cl2 will kill about 85% of bacteria, 60% of virii and about 70% of microorganisms. UV will take care of the others but good filtration is also required.

Why is there a coliform risk in your plumbing?

o

the guy from independent local lab , told us to just get a uv light.. supp our hardness is 12 or so... no way do I want chlorine in my water.... even lab guy says chlorine is bad cause it breaks down to into bad stuff.
So I guess we will have to clean uv glass more we we get a uv light.

o

Bacteria and other organism can't 'hide' behind hardness because it is dissolved. They hide behind turbidity or other matter in the water. hardness is bad for UVs because calcium deposits build up in the quartz lens and renders the UV penetration in a diminished strength and reduced effectiveness.

o

well cant we just clean the lens more often? just asking....
Jean

o

No, cleaning the quartz lens is neither practical or ever recommended. You mustn't even touch it with your bare hands. Sometimes a citric acid is used but this involves a complicated application process.

UVs on hard water have a very short life span. Do you understand the differences between NSF-Standard-55 Class-A and -B systems?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumbing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here