Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kawh707

Any Tricks for Checking Water Storage Tank Level??

kawh707
9 years ago

We just got a 5,000 water storage tank (well pumps to tank, tank pumps to house.) I want to check the level daily, to troubleshoot some issues. Have used the watermellon-banging method, but have troubles hearing differences.

Anyone out there know of any little tricks... or if a tool is made to do this?? I was wondering whether a stud-finder would work? (we don't have one, or i would have tried. )

Would greatly appreciate any little tips or secrets.

Comments (9)

• User
    9 years ago

You could install a clear gauge pipe on the outside of the tank, which would require you to empty the tank for installation.

There are float indicators available.

There are also ultrasonic tank levels measuring devices that will transmit to a receiver.

• kawh707
    Original Author
    9 years ago

thanks very much, aliceinwonderland... i have googled the ultrasonic level sensors and looks like a big investment. we do have a float inside that tells the well when to fill... too bad it didn't come with a meter. will check into a float meter.

still wonder whether a good old studfinder would work??? any thoughts on that???

• kawh707
    Original Author
    9 years ago

thanks very much, aliceinwonderland... i have googled the ultrasonic level sensors and looks like a big investment. we do have a float inside that tells the well when to fill... too bad it didn't come with a meter. will check into a float meter.

still wonder whether a good old studfinder would work??? any thoughts on that???

• klem1
    9 years ago

If there is provision at or near bottom of tank to connect a hose or pipe,doing as alice i w says with clear tube is the simplest. An accruate .5 to 5 psi guage can be converted to water colum if connected any where on side of tank.

• grubby_AZ Tucson Z9
    9 years ago

And the neat thing is, it can be clear quarter inch ice maker supply tubing so it can be really cheap!

Secondly, if you use quarter inch tubing, you can poke a hole small enough for the hose to fit in tightly enough to not leak. An electric drill here might not be a very good idea. If you wanted to stop using it later, that size hole could be sealed from the outside with a hefty machine screw with a rubber washer under the head. The hole (both making and sealing) would be small enough to be created/sealed with water still in the tank. Pick a hot day!

But you might not want to use farm mechanics on a brand new expensive fiberglass tank. A sight glass like this can be run off a hole tapped into or clamped onto a rigid line or fitting or valve boss. If you ditch the clamp part it might cost you a (plumbing) hole tap and a drill bit.

• kawh707
    Original Author
    9 years ago

thank you, grubby. i think you are suggesting that we run a clear tube vertically up the outside of the tank, and the water will fill the tube up to the level that it's in on the tank? would there have to be a vent at the top of that tube in order to let the air out so that the water would rise up the tube? (if so, i am thinking that bugs could enter the tube, and then the tank.) maybe i'm totally unclear on your (seemingly brilliant) idea.

i hope to have the guy who installed the tank come out one more time to make some adjustments, so can certainly ask him more about this. thanks very much.

• User
    9 years ago

Run the clear tube out at the the bottom and back in at the top of the tank - no place for unwanted intruders to gain access.

• bus_driver
    9 years ago

The tank is not pressurized?

• greenskynz
    3 years ago

knocking on the tank but not v accurate. im wondering if a cheap electronic stud finder would do a trick...