Return to the Plumbing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Toilet advice needed - refill tube broke off

Posted by SnailLover (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 7, 13 at 15:59

My plumber stood me up, so I'm trying to figure this out on my own. It appears that the refill tube has broken off from the overflow tube. If I hold it in place, the toilet flushes okay. But when I release it, the pressure causes it to pop off and squirt water everywhere.

So my question is this: Is this broken piece part of the refill tube or the overflow tube? If it's part of the overflow tube, would I need to replace this entire unit and take the tank off to install it? If yes, I don't want to attempt this myself. If it's just a matter of replacing the refill tube, I think I could handle that. Hope the photo helps. Thanks for any advice.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Toilet advice needed - refill tube broke off

As a temporary fix you could remove the white piece from the black hose, clean it and the grey looking piece and glue it back together. You can purchase plumbers Goop at any hardware store. When it drys it wont come apart. Be sure and let it dry good before using.

o
RE: Toilet advice needed - refill tube broke off

Thanks, I like this idea. It's an old toilet that I didn't want to put too much money into fixing, since I want to remodel the bathroom over the winter. This sounds like a simple fix that I can do.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumbing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here