Return to the Plumbing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Swap out drinking water faucet - is it simple?

Posted by mrsrader (My Page) on
Fri, Sep 27, 13 at 15:40

I am new to this forum, but have found the advice shared here to be indispensable as we build our new house.

We have used the 10-Stage Filter from New Wave Enviro (http://www.newwaveenviro.com/products/premium-10-stage-water-filter) for the last few years, and really like the water. However, we are tired of having the thing sitting on the counter, so in this new house are upgrading to the under counter model. Problem is, the only faucet option from New Wave is a junky-looking brushed metal with a black plastic ring on the bottom. I'd like to swap it out for a nicer unit, maybe one from Rohl.

My question is, how feasible is this swap-out? The new faucet is a special order, and it will be a bummer if it arrives and we learn that we can't use it.

I called New Wave, and their only advice was to use a "vented faucet, NOT made for reverse osmosis".

Any advice or feedback would be appreciated!

These are the faucets we're considering: http://www.efaucets.com/detail.asp?Product_Id=A1635LM-APC
http://www.homeclick.com/rohl-u1601l-apc-perrin-and-rowe-contemporary-kitchen-filter-faucet-in-polished-chrome/p-575370.aspx

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Swap out drinking water faucet - is it simple?

I couldn't see what faucet you were referencing - it said it wasn't available or something (hopefully I just cut and pasted wrong...). But generally speaking, when you add a below-counter filter system, you simply unhook your water line, connect the filter system in its place, and hook the cold supply line back in on the other end of the filter. That will get you filtered water all the time (on the cold side, at least).

If, like it sounded, you're adding a separate filtered faucet just for drinking water, you would do something very similar - add a tee valve between the wall plumbing and the cold water line to your normal faucet. The tee would branch to your filter system and your new filter faucet would connect to the other end of the filter, while un-filtered water would happily continue on through your standard faucet. Make sure the tee is a tee valve (can be shut off separately), because it makes replacing filter cartridges much, much easier!

When they said you need a vented faucet not made for reverse osmosis, this is because you need some sort of air gap, and if you get a filter faucet with an air gap built in, you don't need a separate air gap cluttering your countertop. An RO faucet typically has three lines where a standard filter faucet only has two.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumbing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here