Return to the Plumbing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Toilet drain question

Posted by cakie (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 20, 10 at 14:25

My daughter bought a 1915 house recently. The bathroom is in an addition--porbably from the 1940's or so. There is a cellar under the bathroom so I can see the pipes and have free access to them.

We noticed that her toilet gurgles when flushed and seems to siphon out too much water. There is not much left in the bowl after flushing. The drain coming out of the toilet is a 3" ABS drain which drops straight down for about 18" before joining with a horizontal pipe leading out.

I am wondering if we need to replace the toilet, or if the drain is pulling too much water out too fast when the toilet is flushed. Any advice?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Toilet drain question

"I am wondering if we need to replace the toilet, or if the drain is pulling too much water out too fast when the toilet is flushed. Any advice?"

Look around for the vent line for the toilet drain line.

Without a vent line the siphon action in the toilet can be exaggerated (it is intended to help clear the bowl, and as the tank fills up it also fills the trap in the bowl).

o
RE: Toilet drain question

Thanks, I will look at the vent situation when I go over this weekend. How close does a vent stack have to be? If the toilet is not vented and does not have a nearby vent to hook up to---then what? Will I have to tear out the wall and run a vent up through the attic? It is a one-story house, so we could do this, but it does not sound like fun.

Well, is plumbing ever fun?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumbing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here