Return to the Plumbing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How big should Utility Sink Be?

Posted by kftoby (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 26, 11 at 14:01

My front load washing machine discharges into an ugly, warped utiltiy sink that I would like to replace. How big of a sink is really necessary? Is there a formula for figuring it out? Such as how much water does machine use, size of drain hole in sink, etc...??? I would really love to use a small deep kitchen-type sink since other than the washing machine, it is used mostly for cleaning paintbrushes and football cleats! Thanks, k

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How big should Utility Sink Be?

I like mine to be large enough to hold the wash and rinse water from one load of laundry, just in case the drain gets blocked.

o

Umm....you can't figure out how big a sink you need or want? Really?

o

I think the question is whether there are any regulations governing this issue, like, does the sink have to hold enough water for one cycle of laundry in case he drain plugs.

If you want to contain one cycle, plug the drain and watch one cycle to see if the current sink is the right size for that.

o

ikea has a cute one.

o

"I think the question is whether there are any regulations governing this issue, like, does the sink have to hold enough water for one cycle of laundry in case he drain plugs. "

No regulations.
You could discharge into a standpipe and have NO place to collect the water if the drain clogs.

It depends on how much space you have and how much risk you are willing to take if the drain clogs.

o

If you are replacing the sink, why not take the time to add a proper stand pipe onto which to hang the washer's drain hose?

As far as the drain clogging, that usually happens in the sink's drain basket which is well before the standpipe.

o

"If you are replacing the sink, why not take the time to add a proper stand pipe onto which to hang the washer's drain hose? "

Some of us much prefer a sink that can hold a loads worth of water.
At least you have a chance of not flooding with a clog.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumbing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here