Return to the Plumbing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Labor cost for install of backup sump

Posted by stir_fryi (My Page) on
Fri, Sep 24, 10 at 13:51

We had a Liberty SJ-10 installed with it's own line to the outside.

Charge was $850.

Seems high since I can find this pump online for $142 online.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Labor cost for install of backup sump

I am king of all trades. I'll do any job for much less $ than a contractor.

With a new line of pipe running outside and all the necessary fittings your total materials cost is maybe $250. Since I am out of work, I would only charge you $10 an hour, or whatever you say is fair for unskilled labor in your area. I would make a hole in your exterior wall with a hammer because I do not have all the fancy tools they use on TV. I would spend about a day working on your house, maybe two. I fix the hammer hole with spackel, caulk, or aerosol foam, the choice is up to you. You pay me $425 and I go away, never to be seen again.

Too bad you wasted all that extra money on the ripoff contractor. He'll just blow it on some stupid tool he can use to extort more $ from consumers.

Why would anyone hire a plumber with license and insurance? Just doesn't make sense if you know me! And I am everywhere!

o

This is tough due to the considerable difference in licensed labor charges throughout the USA. You most definitly want a licensed and insured plumber because they will be working on the most expensive investment of your life and the job will consist of electrical, water, drilling, and possibly be dangerous to the installer.
I would have gotten three bids and had the three companies come out to see prior to hiring for the job.
Research the company thoroughly before having them do the job.

o

Did the plumber include the additional backflow preventer that is usually required by code?

Did the plumber use a second discharge pipe instead of Y'ing into the primary as required by the directions?

If the answers are "yes" and "yes", then you probably paid about right.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumbing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here