Return to the Plumbing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Florida Water Softener

Posted by Gejodi (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 2, 12 at 13:03

Hi all ..been perusing the web for water softener info and found this site. If you all feel generous with your time perhaps you can answer some questions to clear up some confusion on my part. I am having a house built in Ocala Florida. The house has 2 full baths: One shower and one shower/bath combo. It will be occupied by my wife and I with an occasional visit of 2 to 4 people for no greater than 2 weeks at a time perhaps 4 to 6 times a year?? The water is supplied by a utiliy company which gets its water from a number of wells. The utility company told me that the hardness is 9.3 gpg and has a very low iron content of .3. I am considering purchasing a Fleck unit online and installing myself as I have done a lot of new and repair plumbing in my old house. I initially thought to purchase a Sears hybrid but comments here about quality and perhaps chlorine removal made me feel that ill wait to see what the taste and odor of the water is after I move in before i treat for chlorie/taste filtering. I believe that that 9.3 gpg however is enough to warrant a softener??? Im sorry but im still confused on what size softener I should get and settings? I am also not sure if I do elect to order online if all parts ie bypass valves gravel, resin would be included. Also should I plumb for a filter should i place in line in future? In advance I will thank you guys for any help you can provide. Dont have much more info to give as I am not living there yet so Ill understand if you cant make a decision based on what i have included.

George

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Florida Water Softener

A couple of questions:

1. Do you have a full water report? I assume you are on city water. If so, providing the city's water report would be helpful. Obtain a few reports - water may vary seasonally.

2. A full water test would be good as well from YOUR house. Often the water will pick up a few things along the way from the point where the city tests.

3. Manganese is closely related to iron, and they are often found together. Is there manganese in your water?

4. SFR (service flow rate) is important. To size a softener appropriately, we will need to know the max flow you can get. Open an outdoor spigot, or a tub faucet and time how long it takes to fill a gallon bucket.

o

Aliceinwonderland...All that you ask for makes sense so I guess im a little premature as my home is not completely built yet. I was hoping to get an answer before I moved in and before any water was used through the house/appliances so I could install before any damage was done. I will have to re post when I obtain info that you ask for ...thanks and sorry for being premature.

George

o

Not a problem. You can get city reports now. I can also help with SFR estimate if you can tell me the size your supply lines will be (3/4" or 1" would be typical) and you can ask any neighbors close by what their pressure is, if they know. You could also get a water sample from a neighbor for more complete testing - their water should by nearly identical if you are using city water.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumbing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here