Return to the Plumbing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Shower squeal is deafning!

Posted by dgmarie (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 10, 08 at 12:50

We have a shower upstairs which, when the water begins to get hot, squeals unbelievably loudly. It is earsplitting and it lasts for up to three minutes. Adjusting the temp a little cooler or warmer doesn't do much except scald or freeze the showerer. This is a 10 year old home and water pressure is fine. What can we do? Rip open the wall? Replacing the shower head hasn't made any difference. The children hate to use this shower. It's do da#$ loud!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Shower squeal is deafning!

What kind of valves?
If the valve packing on a conventional valve is bad the valve stem can vibrate causing a squeeling noise.

Repacking the valve (Teflon packing is the best) usually solves the problem.

o

The valves? I have a moen shower faucet set. Not sure if this is what you mean by kind of valves. What is the "valve packing?"

Can you walk me through what to do? DH has pipe wrenches, teflon tape etc and is quite handy but not sure how to solve this/what to buy.

Thank you for answering. My children will be so happy not to take a "scarey" shower.

o

Found the solution online and thought I'd share with anyone is the same boat--the tub spout diverter wasn't sealing properly. If I put my hand tightly over the spout while the shower was running, the noise stopped. I noticed the tub was also still dripping water when the shower was running. So I adjusted the pull up plug to be tighter and voila, no more noise. Free and works. Can't beat that!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumbing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here