Return to the Plumbing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tight toilet rough-in - options?

Posted by cinnamonsworld (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 12, 10 at 12:42

Getting ready to put tile up the walls in an older house, and even without, I've got just an 11.5" rough-in space for the toilet. The walls will be 1/2" backer board and on top of that 3/8"-thick granite tile squares.

I'd wanted to put in a Kohler Santa Rosa toilet but it's only got a 7/8" space at the back of the tank; one of the Cimarrons has a 1.25" space, according to their literature.

So is my best bet getting the Cimarron or is there any relatively uncomplicated, not expensive solution to get a little more space?

The wood subfloor is currently exposed, and I can see the toilet drain through the hole cut in the subfloor for it.

Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tight toilet rough-in - options?

I should add... the current space is just barely over 11.5" ... I'm hopeful the 1.25"-gap Cimarron would have enough leeway in the hole position to fit, but would check that out with my tile guy and plumber before buying. (I'd strongly prefer the Santa Rosa toilet if there's an option to use that though.)

One other possibility I suppose is going with 1/4" backer board but I'd prefer the 1/2" as we have to hang a big mirror on that wall.

o

How about a 10" rough in toilet?

o

I thought about that (a 10" rough-in toilet), but the choices aren't that great for the style of bathroom I'm hoping to do - and it's gonna be a black toilet, which narrows the choices further. (But that possibility does loom out there.)

o

I, too, have an 11.5" rough-in. I already have a 12" toilet. What now???

o

What now? See if it fits. There's probably an extra 1/2" to work with (some toilets have as much as one inch). BTW, don't count the baseboard when measuring since the main issue is room for the tank.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumbing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here