Return to the Plumbing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What is this black pipe on new lav?

Posted by laurainlincoln (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 22, 10 at 12:35

I posted on the Bathroom forum to get ideas for addressing the exposed (and very poorly done) plumbing on my new sink console. Someone there asked me what the black pipe was on the right side, and I have no idea (I had not really even noticed it amidst all the mess). Looks like it is from a dishwasher... Can anyone offer any insight as to what this is and what its purpose would be? I would like to have more information before I go back and talk with the plumber. Thanks in advance!

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What is this black pipe on new lav?

Just figured out it is for AC condensation from the new upstairs HVAC unit that sits above this bath. :-)

o

That it is

o

"Just figured out it is for AC condensation from the new upstairs HVAC unit that sits above this bath."

If that is what it is the connection is probably illegal under the plumbing codes.

You need an indirect wast with an air gap.

o

Using a DW Tee like that constitutes an indirect waste with an air gap, same as for dishwashers. That is why draining dishwashers gurgle in the sink drain.

o

arg! The plumbing inspector was just here this morning and did not have any issues with it BUT I wish I had been here to ask about it - i feel like I am a day late and a dollar short on this whole bathroom project. If code is not an issue, are there other issues I should be concerned about with this set up? thanks in advance for everyone's expertise.

o

It's fine, there are millions of installs exactly like it in the south, my Texas home has 2

The air gap is at the p- trap near the AC coil, or should be

o

"Using a DW Tee like that constitutes an indirect waste with an air gap, same as for dishwashers."

And that is not allowed in many areas.

The air gap for the DW is on the counter near the sink (and ugly).

If anything starts to smell in the drain line before the trap it can end up in the HVAC depending on how the AC coil is set up (input or output side of the blower).

o

The lines are vented post trap in the attics

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumbing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here