Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dchall_san_antonio

Water conditioning

dchall_san_antonio
12 years ago

I am moving to a small town in the Texas desert and will be facing poor water conditions. Before I ask my question I will post the latest report from the local water district.

Population here is 2,000. Nearest city with water softener salesmen is 80 miles away. The water tower is literally across the street about 450 feet from the house. Pipe to the house is 1-inch PVC. Pipe inside the house is (possibly) 1-inch copper with 3/4-inch going to the outdoor faucets.

Clearly I am going to need a softener. I'll ask that question later. My question now is how to deal with the rotten egg smell? When I had it inspected the smell became apparent when the inspector turned on the hot water in the tub. He said it was due to "sulfur build up in the water heater because the house has been vacant." I pointed out to him the house had been occupied the previous month by three men. It had only been vacated a few hours prior to the inspector's arrival. He then suggested getting the water filtered. I have not noticed a smell in the cold water, but the test shows fairly high levels of sulfate in the water. Elsewhere I read that some water heaters can cause the smell. What is the best way to address the rotten egg smell given the situation and fact that I will be adding a softener as soon as possible?

Comments (3)