Return to the Plumbing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Water conditioning

Posted by dchall_san_antonio (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 22, 11 at 12:09

I am moving to a small town in the Texas desert and will be facing poor water conditions. Before I ask my question I will post the latest report from the local water district.

Population here is 2,000. Nearest city with water softener salesmen is 80 miles away. The water tower is literally across the street about 450 feet from the house. Pipe to the house is 1-inch PVC. Pipe inside the house is (possibly) 1-inch copper with 3/4-inch going to the outdoor faucets.

Clearly I am going to need a softener. I'll ask that question later. My question now is how to deal with the rotten egg smell? When I had it inspected the smell became apparent when the inspector turned on the hot water in the tub. He said it was due to "sulfur build up in the water heater because the house has been vacant." I pointed out to him the house had been occupied the previous month by three men. It had only been vacated a few hours prior to the inspector's arrival. He then suggested getting the water filtered. I have not noticed a smell in the cold water, but the test shows fairly high levels of sulfate in the water. Elsewhere I read that some water heaters can cause the smell. What is the best way to address the rotten egg smell given the situation and fact that I will be adding a softener as soon as possible?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Water conditioning

Smell in the hot water may be a reaction between the water and the material that the anode in the WH is made of or there may be a bacterial colonization in the WH.

Run the temp on the WH up to 140 for a few hours and see if that effects the smell.

You might try sanitizing the water heater and see if that solves the smell problem.

As to water treatment... get a comprehensive water test done at your home and then you'll know what needs to be treated.

o

Thanks. I have been reading your comments here over the years and will get the tests done before asking about softening. Since I am so remote, can I take a glass jar of water to the water softer sales people and let them test it?

I'm looking up how to sanitize a water heater. Thanks for that suggestion.

o

You really need to find an independent lab rather than the quickie tests the softener sellers will do. If you are that remote people with wells are getting their well water tested somewhere.

First, run the temp on the WH up to 140 for a few hours and see if that effects the smell.

Google is your friend... click here

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumbing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here