Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wilsodt

PH Neutralizer / Softener sizing

wilsodt
12 years ago

Looking to get another opinion on size. I have to replace a 20+ year old PH neutralizer. There is no existing softner but need one. The PH is 6.5, TDS 232 ppm, iron negligible (.04), 2 people in house, 2.5 bathroom but only 1 shower gets used. I have 1 recommendation for 1.5 ft3 calcite neutralizer & 1 for 2 ft3 with a 10 X 54 tank. Both recommend a 480000 10X54 softner that after reading on this forum I'm wondering if is too large. any help is appreciated.

Comments (13)

• justalurker
    12 years ago

Assuming you're on a well... yes?

What is the SFR of your well?

Need to know the rest of the water conditions...

Hardness? Manganese? You say iron is .04 ppm?

• wilsodt
    Original Author
    12 years ago

It is a well with 3/4 copper from the pressure tank. Hardness is 12.5, manganese .02, iron .04. Is there something I can do to determine accurate SFR?

• justalurker
    12 years ago

If you have a spigot (valve) at the pressure tank, put a 5 gallon bucket under it and open the valve for 10 seconds. Measure the water in the bucket and multiply by 6. That is the SFR in GPM. This is a rough estimate but usually will do.

A 1 cubic foot softener should do the job and will give you 9gpm SFR.

For your neutralizer, make sure you get a tank with a plug in the dome. Makes it really easy to add media.

• AliceHasLeftTheBuilding
    12 years ago

Is the hardness your raw well water or after the neutralizer?

• justalurker
    12 years ago

I'm assuming that the 20 year old neutralizer hasn't been effective for quite a while... but then we know about assuming.

• wilsodt
    Original Author
    12 years ago

The hardness is before the neutralizer. I believe the calcite adds additional hardness but not sure exactly how that works. The neutralizer is due for refill but is looking pretty bad so thought it was a good time to bite the bullet. It also does not have a dome refill hole.

• justalurker
    12 years ago

The neutralizer will add hardness and that has to be calculated in when setting up the softener but it won't add a dramatic amount of hardness.

You'll love the dome refill hole the first time you need to add media.

• wilsodt
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Checked the SFR tonight - it is 9 GPM at the pressure tank.

• justalurker
    12 years ago

That's adequate.

I would get the same model control valve on both the softener and Neutralizer. That way you only need to learn one control valve design and operation. If you want to build a parts stash that's easier if you use the same valve.

• wilsodt
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Per one of your previous post recommendations I plan to go with the 5600SXT on both with noryl bypass. Does the sizing on the PH Neutralizer make a big difference? As I said above one place recommended a 2 ft3, the other 1.5. Thanks for your responses, tried not to be overly redundant. Hopefully I can get some programming advice if needed.

• justalurker
    12 years ago

You're looking to bump the PH from 6.5 up to 7 (or a touch over) so the 1.5 cube neutralizer should be OK. Don't forget the dome plug.

The 5600SXT is a good choice for both.

When you get the neutralizer installed check the PH and hardness. With that info we can program the softener control.

I'd also install a three ball valve bypass at the neutralizer and softener. That way, if the Fleck bypasses ever need service or leak (rare occurrence) you'll still have water to the house till the parts arrive and the repairs are made. Cheap to do and no down side.

• wilsodt
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I received both units. OPWC misunderstood my change request and sent 1.0 ft3 on both the neutralizer & the softener. The tank on the PH Neutralizer is 10 X 54. To compensate he is sending me another 1/2 ft3 of calcite to total 1.5. Is the only difference between the 1.0 & 1.5 the amount of calcite initially added to the tank?

Second question if I may - should the gravel base in the neutralizer cover the screen piece at the bottom of the tube? Thanks

• justalurker
    12 years ago

Ask CK Moore @ OPWC...