Return to the Plumbing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Timer to Limit Time Shower Water can be on ? auto-shutoff ?

Posted by angela12345 (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 2, 10 at 11:24

We are building a new home that will be used for weekly rentals in the summer and will sleep about 24 people. I called the water company to get an idea of what our water usage will be and they said summer bills range from $400 on the low side up to $1000 on the high side for 2 months water & sewer during peak season. Yikes !! This is charged at $7.63 per 1000 gallons and covers water & sewer ($3.63 water/$4.00 sewer).

I asked her for some suggestions on how to lower the costs ... she recommended having irrigation on separate meter on which they only charge for water (not sewer). She also recommended having the outside shower on what she called a "button timer" which turns the water off after a certain time so it won't be left on accidentally. Has anyone ever had anything like this ? What are your thoughts ? Do you know what it is called and where to get it ?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Timer to Limit Time Shower Water can be on ? auto-shutoff ?

You might also consider a hand shower that requires a button to be depressed for water to flow, or a spring-loaded valve at the shower head that requires a chain or cord to be pulled.

o
RE: Timer to Limit Time Shower Water can be on ? auto-shutoff ?

The link below shows mechanical shower timers... you press the button and the water flows for 30 seconds. They are hated in campgrounds and schools everywhere .

I'm not endorsing that brand, just an example.

With water that expensive, too bad you don't have a gray water system that captures the water from the showers for use in irrigation (check your local codes first!).

Here is a link that might be useful: Shower timers

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumbing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here